Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's one for ya!! actually 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here's one for ya!! actually 2

All right..... 2000 D2 54000 miles. Recently had the intake, valve covers and all the other gaskets related toan intake manifold gasketjob done, because of oil and coolant that was making it's way to the bellhousing/oil flushnut area.

Was still leaking oil, but no more red drops( coolant).... had the dealer put some fluorescent dye in the oil, and saw with a black lightthat the leak was coming from the front of the engine,soooooo, had the front gasket which also involved changing the oil pan gasket job done.

Now the Disco is as dry as a rock in the desert. BUT..... I seemto I have a hard time getting the coolant level inthe overflow bottle to come back to the full line when cold. So I'm starting to wonder if it takes a little while after agasket job was done which involved coolant and oil passages,to getthe coolant level tocome back to its intended level by keeping on filling it up until you achieve the level line.

Question 1: If all is all right,Does a warmDisco always have the coolant go back to full when cold, or does it depend on the ambiant temperature where the vehicle is parked ????? In other words, is it possible for me to fill it up thinking it's a little low ( maybe an inch under the full mark in the overflow bottle)when the reason for it being low, is the fact that it's warmer outside than when I filled it up???and then as the engine warms up to operating temperature, the extra coolant is spilled out of the tank!!!!

I opened the hood today when I got home, to see if I could see it leak on the exhaust manifold or something, which would cause it to evaporate thus explaining why I have yet to see a drop on the ground or hanging and waiting to fall when parked. Nothing!!! But , every couple of second, as the engine was running, I could hear a pssshhh that would last a milli second, as if a drop was actually falling and being evaporated by something very hot.I did not see any steam coming up or anything, but could smell warm humidity.

Question 2 : Where else besides the exhaust manifold and over all exhaust like the pipes and cats, could a coolant drop fall and be evaporated on contact which would explain the noise???? and is this smell of warm humidity the normal smell of a running warm 4.0L Disco.I really never noticed, as I've always opened the hood when the engine is stopped.

I very well could be way out on this, and chasing ghosts. I could wait and test it as time goes buy, but I'd just like to know what you guys have to say about the matter.

I've asked the Dealer, and they said that all is normal and the coolant level rarely goes back to the same level as the time before, and to just make sure that I do not neglect it and let it go low????

Old 04-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Here's one for ya!! actually 2

Check your throttle body. It is a common leak (easy fix too) and drips directly on your valve cover/manifold. If it is leaking there you will likely see an orange line around the seal and a discolored valve cover underneath.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I'm almost sure that they changed it when doing the intake manifold job. I'll check with them tomorrow. So you're saying that should it leak, it would leak coolant???

Old 04-10-2007, 10:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it would leak just coolant. There is a plate located on the bottom of your throttle body that develops a leak (only coolant). Land Rover has produced a kit to address the issue.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Just out of curiosity, I checked, and the throttle body seems dry all around with no wetness on the valve cover under it nor the intake manifold.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:02 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure what the temp is up there, but if you are using your AC, the condensate drain lets out on the right hand cat/pipe. Might explain you noise. Is the humid smell a sweet smell? Coolant is generally sweet smelling....

Good Luck

Jason

Old 04-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, I do not know if it is a sweet smell, but I do know that it is a pleasant smell ( maybe morelike leather, or perfumed pipe tobacco), as if there was a litely perfumed filter in the ventilation system. And no I'm not using the A/C yet, as it is still cold up here in Canada.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Two thoughts, if you think you are leaking fluid still, have someone do a coolant pressure test, the leak will show up in a minute or so, unless it is a head gasket then the guage will drop pressure and the coolant will leak internally. So any drop in pressure will let you knoe there is a problem.
As for the coolant level, I have found that every morning, before the engine has been started, no mater is the weather is cold or hot, the coolant level will be at the exact same place. A good test would be to fiil the coolant bottle all the way to the top, and using a piece of masking tape, placed on the coolant bottle vertically, mark your level on the tape with a pen every other day or so. You should see that other then the first two days after you put water or coolant in, the level will stay the same, if it keeps dropping them there is a leak.
Mike

Old 04-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks guys, I'll start monitoring it today.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:03 AM

When the dealer added the dye,how long did it take to work through before you were able to trace the leak? I've been chasing a leak for about a year(38,000 kilometers on it), it seems to be running down the back of the engine(we think).So far I've had the valve cover gaskets changed, 2 oil pan gasket's,TB gasket changed,intake gasket done last fall,and still.....drip! I don't buy the dealers "they all leak" explanation,my truck is not supposed to leak....I hate leaks....It urk's me...yes..urks!................................... ..............drip!

Quick Reply: Here's one for ya!! actually 2