Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hesitant to join the ranks, help me!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hesitant to join the ranks, help me!

So, I've read the FAQs or the new owners' guide or whatever it's called. It answers my questions regarding common problems, which, actually sounds like a good time to have a weekend project to tinker with now and again.

Also, the 2000 Discovery I'm looking at with 105k miles has had the head gaskets replaced in the past 1-2 years and just had the front axle rebuilt. It has all service records since new from the local dealer.

What I'm curious / worried about is, just how reliable can I expect this to be?? I see postings where people are concerned to get too far from home, etc. Given that the 2 major mechanical commonalities have been recently resolved can I expect it to get me around for a while without stranding me (and potentially my wife and 2 kids?). How long do these auto trannies last?

For what theyre asking (<$4k) and the extensive records/recent repairs, it sounds like a great deal, but are all of you just a bit more insane than the average tinkerer (me). The toughest job I ever tackled was a clutch replacement in a '85 Honda CRX (NEVER again) and I've otherwise only done items outside the engine.

Should i stay or should i go?
Thanks, Brian

Old 01-12-2010, 09:31 PM
Three Wheeling

These are great cars, and with dedication you won't have any problems. Be sure to read up on the front driveshaft issues (you said axle did you mean driveshaft?) Also, when you get the vehicle do the 60k service checklist, and really you should be pretty good to go as a daily driver.

Keep in mind that alot of people join these forums to find answers to problems they are having. Visiting a forum like this can easily scare a potential owner away, but remember there are alot of other people that own Discos not posting on rover forums, because they either aren't that into their car, don't have time, or haven't had a big enough issue to look for online DIY help.

I had the opposite issue you're having, I was so set on getting a discovery, I read all of the issues they can have and basically blew them off under the "it won't happen to me" mindset. Boy was I wrong, this land rover threw me into the ranks quick, but I really love doing the work so I don't mind as long as it doesn't die on my way to an event (I'm a mobile DJ and that would be BAD).

Last edited by brianb883; 01-13-2010 at 05:34 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Hi Brian,

You have done all your homework and answered most of your own questions. The major concern areas have been addressed and service records validate the rest of the vehicle. If you continue the proper care, your ownership should be desirable. Basically don't neglect it.

As for leaving you stranded with your family, I used my DII on a daily basis. Drove me and my six and three year kids everywhere.

Go for it!

Expect small failures and you wont be disappointed :-)

Regards,

Nick

Old 01-12-2010, 11:52 PM
6th Gear

i agree with whats been said but want to add one thing discoverys are addicting and awesome trucks aned they only time i personaly have had a problem is when i was doing some thing stupid and screw some thign up my self lol

Old 01-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

just keep up on the maitenance and you will be fine... you need to learn how to tackle small things on your own to save some money on labor costs. i use mine every day and have driven it all over the east coast.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Drifting

thanks, discoverovers(?)! i'm going to have meet with the owners tomorrow eve. I'm certainly fine doing most of the maintenance/repairs myself as long as it doesn't involve tearing into the motor/transmission.

so, if after what appears to be meticulous maintenance you're still giving the go ahead with it at 105k miles then, hey, i can handle that. besides, it's our 2nd vehicle that will be drive maybe 2-3 times a week...thanks again, Brian

Old 01-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by starrock
thanks, discoverovers(?)! i'm going to have meet with the owners tomorrow eve. I'm certainly fine doing most of the maintenance/repairs myself as long as it doesn't involve tearing into the motor/transmission.

so, if after what appears to be meticulous maintenance you're still giving the go ahead with it at 105k miles then, hey, i can handle that. besides, it's our 2nd vehicle that will be drive maybe 2-3 times a week...thanks again, Brian
Make sure to look at the 60k checklist that has been posted here and do what has not already been done to this truck. Good Luck-

Old 08-14-2023, 09:14 PM
Mudding
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by brianb883

Keep in mind that alot of people join these forums to find answers to problems they are having. Visiting a forum like this can easily scare a potential owner away, but remember there are alot of other people that own Discos not posting on rover forums, because they either aren't that into their car, don't have time, or haven't had a big enough issue to look for online DIY help.

).
This is a profound statement that many on forums don't grasp. (ISSUSES+WHINING) + parts < Mods +(Miles/Smiles)......... LRD2

Old 08-14-2023, 09:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 353 Likes on 227 Posts

I would also make mention that you need not be afraid of tearing (too far) into the engine. These trucks use an engine design that was 40 years old when the vehicle was brand new and are pretty simple. The RAVE (workshop manual) is availible for free online and this forum is great.

It sounds like you may have found a good one though, let us know if you buy it and what your plans are for it.

Old 08-14-2023, 11:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Two words : maintenance intensive.

The following users liked this post:
XRAD (08-26-2023)

Quick Reply: hesitant to join the ranks, help me!