Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi-Lo question

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 01:32 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hi-Lo question

To the pitiful those of us without the CDL- How often do you engage your "Lo" option on the transmission and why?

Old 11-29-2012, 01:59 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

when im off-road. engage it all the time. or when the weather is really nasty out and i need to get out of a hairy sitch. talking ice and snow heavy on the ground. if its the slightest bit dry or just rain it better be disengaged.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I engage it as soon as I get onto a trail, no reason not to.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:19 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Rarely for me... And I've never been stuck either, and never needed low range to get through a foot of fresh snow, up icy hills, etc.

My reason for this is that it was explained to me by someone that you go as far as you can in high range and if you get stuck you still have low range to help out. If you get stuck in low range, well you better have some friends nearby or a winch.

On some mountain roads I will go to Sport mode and shift manually, especially if there are a lot of steep declines.

I've never used the hill decent control.

A few times a year I will shift into low range just to make sure it still works.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:53 PM
Winching
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by russburcham
To the pitiful those of us without the CDL- How often do you engage your "Lo" option on the transmission and why?
Im not sure I understand the question.

All D2s have low range, not all D2s have CDLs

Center Locking Diff

If you are off road you should always lock your CDL. The Rover Center Diffs are very strong but only when they are locked. When you have wheelspin from your adventures off-road and your CDL is not locked you run the risk of blowing up the spider gears in the differential.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Dave03S
My reason for this is that it was explained to me by someone that you go as far as you can in high range and if you get stuck you still have low range to help out.
I do not see how this would be relevant. You have the same amount of traction in high range or low range. Only locking the CDL can possibly add traction by forcing one wheel in the front and one in the rear to spin at the same time.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i engage low when i get to a part of the trail where i'm pretty sure i'll need it. usually that involves lot's of mud, and a big hill or ledge. when i'm just putting around on easy trails, i'm in high to keep the revs lower on the engine.
if you engage low, it makes the traction control much more sensitive, and you get more traction based on the traction control grabbing a slipping tire sooner. at least that's what i notice when i'm in low.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Fivespddisco
Im not sure I understand the question.

All D2s have low range, not all D2s have CDLs

Center Locking Diff

If you are off road you should always lock your CDL. The Rover Center Diffs are very strong but only when they are locked. When you have wheelspin from your adventures off-road and your CDL is not locked you run the risk of blowing up the spider gears in the differential.
??????

He asked, "If you don't have the ability to engage your CDL(99-03), how often do you engage low range" What he should have said is, "hey everyone with a Land Rover, how often do you engage your low range" because almost every Land Rover has low range(short of some LR2/Evoque noise.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:12 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
??????

He asked, "If you don't have the ability to engage your CDL(99-03), how often do you engage low range" What he should have said is, "hey everyone with a Land Rover, how often do you engage your low range" because almost every Land Rover has low range(short of some LR2/Evoque noise.
Thanks, I miss read it and got hung up on the difference between Lock and unlock.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I always engage Low and lock-up my cdl when off-road (rocky conditions). If your definition of off-road is a flat dirt road well then, no. I stay in high gear and floor it

Quick Reply: Hi-Lo question