Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Conversion?

So i do alot of night driving. And in my part of KS there are all sorts of critters and tons of fog. So i was looking at converting my H7 low beam to a pair of ultrawhite 5k or 6k temperature HID's similar to the light output color on the Range Rovers. I hate those bright blue/pinkish HIDs. Those look too much like they're for the Fast and Furious Fanboy club.

However, i do know in the case of my Lexus, the headlight assembly is specifically designed for an HID light pattern. Since my Rover is built for halogen will it affect my light pattern much doing a HID upgrade?

Anyone done a refit or had any experience with aftermarket kits?

I've had good luck with the Kensun kit on my Audi S4 awhile back so probably considering that kit

Kensun H7 HID Kit Kensun H7 HID Kit

Old 01-12-2013, 07:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without a DOT approved HID enclosure (and beam pattern) you wont be driving legally (not that you'll get pulled over for it). I'm not sure if they make enclosures for these that are approved.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by br0keit
not that you'll get pulled over for it

I'm sure i wont, I doubt officer Joe Schmo would know if the Disco II had factory HIDS or not and would want to taket he time to pull me over and inspect the DOT stamp on the headlight assembly.

But i do remember reading about my Lexus IS that the HIDs were self leveling and the assembly reflector had a specific pattern because the HID arc is vertical vs a halogen bulb having a horizontal filament. I just didn't know how much this would affect my light output. Or if i'd be blasting my lowbeams in every oncoming car and not illuminating the road at all.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

No your light output and pattern will not be correct, yes you will blind oncoming traffic.
Yes it is illegal.
There are actual conversion kits that convert your halogen housing to a HID housing.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My HID's work way better than the stock halogens. Unless you get the Hi/Low kit you won't have any high beams. Reflector HID's are normally reserved for stock lights, but there are some Reflector kits available for big $$$$$$.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Aim them correctly and you'll be just fine. This 'blinding oncoming traffic' nonsense is fantasy land.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Wolf
This 'blinding oncoming traffic' nonsense is fantasy land.
I have to disagree with this statement. Where I live there is an abundance of rice burners with HID lights that always seem to blind oncoming traffic or they are behind you and you get blinded by the reflection off your rearview mirror. Its not like I can't see, but its incredibly annoying and takes a moment to readjust my eyes.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ScreamingLife
I have to disagree with this statement. Where I live there is an abundance of rice burners with HID lights that always seem to blind oncoming traffic or they are behind you and you get blinded by the reflection off your rearview mirror. Its not like I can't see, but its incredibly annoying and takes a moment to readjust my eyes.
I guess you overlooked the "aim the correctly" part of my post. When have you ever seen a ricer do anything correct?

Old 01-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Wolf
I guess you overlooked the "aim the correctly" part of my post. When have you ever seen a ricer do anything correct?
I saw that, I am just talking about it in general. I don't know if these guys put them in the right place or not, and I HATE running into these guys. I would just stick with the normal lights... why change whats not broken?

Most ricers don't get it right, and the ones that do, you will never see.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:23 PM
Three Wheeling

my understanding is with a Glare Shield(or casper shield depending on your geographical vernacular) you can correctly use a HID kid in a reflector style housing without to much glare and a proper beam cutoff.

And the i prefer the HID because it (in my opinion anyways) allows me to see more detail, road markings seem to illuminate better, and road signs seem to be brighter as well. But once again , this is all experience from my 2001 Lexus IS300 that has self leveling HID factory reflection style headlights.

Quick Reply: HID Conversion?