Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Engine Idle of 99 Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 11:25 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Engine Idle of 99 Discovery

I have a 99 Discovery. The engine idles between 1 and 2 when it is in park when I first get in the car. Once I drive and stop for a few minutes and restart the car, it idles normally. Has anybody ever seen this before and maybe what needs to be done to fix it. Thank you for any help.
Jackie

Old 12-08-2007, 12:45 AM
Mudding
Default RE: High Engine Idle of 99 Discovery

Well, if I understand you correctly, it only is at high idle when you first start the car, I'm assuming in the morning?

If so, that's normal. The engine revvs high so that it can warm up faster. You don't need to wait for it to get back down, just change gears and it will so down.

:]

Hopefully I answered you question correctly!

Happy Rovering!!

Old 12-08-2007, 08:38 PM
3rd Gear

No it stays high the whole time I drive it unless I stop. It happens everytime the car has sat for more than a few hours, so in the morning and then again like when I go to lunch and again when I leave work for the day.
We only have one place where I live that works on Land Rovers, so I am trying to figure a little out before I pay too much and have to leave my car for weeks!
If you know of anything else though that might help, I would appreciate it. Thank you.
Jackie

Old 12-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Does the idle stay high when the engine warms up? How long does it take to warm up? The stapper motor might be sticking, or you coould have a vacuum leak. The idle is contolled by the computer and should be at 750 warm.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

It's happened to mine a couple times, intermittently, but notin a while. It was just as you described, very high idle, and mine also occurred when it was cold. It felt like an electrical issue, by initial guestimates, like a sensor malfunction or bad connection somewhere, but it hasn't happened enough to zero in ona cause. I'd be interested in knowing if anybody knows a root cause, because my luck it'll start happeneing more.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:59 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

John, NO, that is not normal for an engine to idle above 2000 when cold.
Normal is just over a 1000 and it will drop down to around 7000 RPMs at opperating temp.

How many miles on the 99 D2, have you cleaned the t/body and idle control unit yet?

Old 12-10-2007, 03:03 AM
3rd Gear

I personally have done nothing to it, I would have no idea what to do. I have taken it to the dealer and they said something about the cold start and sensor, but I didn't understand and they seemed like they didn't have the time to take to explain it to me. What they did tell me is that the part I would need would be $900 plus labor, and it would take 3-4 weeks to get on island. At my work we have mechanincs, but they have never worked ona Rover, that is why I am trying to get a small idea so they can maybe help me. I will have them take a look at the vacuum hose. It takes about 5 min to get all the way warm and then I have to stop and turn it off and back on, then it is usually fine. It has 84,000 miles on it. I only drive about 25 miles a day to work and back and that has been for the last 2.5 years, it is very hot where I live, so I don't know if the weather might be a factor too. Thank you all foryour suggestions.
Jackie

Old 12-10-2007, 09:21 AM
Three Wheeling

I went thru this in the spring last year.
I just used a spray cleaner and lubricant on the linkage for the injector. After I cleaned and lubricated the linkage the truck started to start and idle normal.
Simple fix to try before ordering parts and scheduling service.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: hobiecat

I went thru this in the spring last year.
I just used a spray cleaner and lubricant on the linkage for the injector. After I cleaned and lubricated the linkage the truck started to start and idle normal.
Simple fix to try before ordering parts and scheduling service.
There is no linkage for the injectors, only for the throttle bosy, which hardly ever sticks.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Jack.
Do you have a check engine light on, if so have you had the codes read, if so what are they?
Is this a D1 or a D2?

Quick Reply: High Engine Idle of 99 Discovery