Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hill Decent Light on by itself

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 08:05 AM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hill Decent Light on by itself

Hi everyone. Quick question: Have a 2001 DII SE with 185k on the clock. I’ve noticed recently that the HDC light comes on from time to time, but then goes off. It doesn’t come on with the other two amigos most of the time, but I have had all three pop on intermittently over the years. They always seems to turn off the next time I start the car.

My wife and son want to take the Disco to Chicago for Christmas, from NC. Is there any danger to driving with an intermittent HDC light? Can it cause a fault in the ABS system? I know they are all connected. Also, I know not having a root cause makes this question hard to answer, but just looking for some general feedback from the experts on this forum.

Merry Christmas.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

That's rare. Maybe the switch is faulty? Normally the ABS , HDC , TC lights come on at the same time due to them all sharing the same components.

I don't see any threat in driving with that light. Lots of people drive with the whole system not opperating correctly.

Just means you might not have Anti lock brakes or traction control.

Find a shop that can pull the codes for you

Old 12-19-2018, 11:46 AM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also thought it was strange it came on by itself. I drove the truck last night and the light was off again. That's why its been hard to get a reader on it, its very intermittent. I'll do some more research in the interim and report back if I ever do get a read from it. Oh, and I'll keep some extra distance on my trip to Chicago and back.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Mine comes on too, every now and again. Mine is something to do with the brake light switch inside SLABS. Check the code, if it says brake light relay, you have the same problem. HDC still works, just without brake lights coming on

Old 12-21-2018, 09:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The codes will store wether or not the light is on.

The HDC cuts off when you use the brakes so I'm guessing the brake switch circuit having an issue wouldnthrow a code for the HDC? Maybe.

Best to pull codes. Guessing with electronics is playing darts in the dark.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle

If you dont have a scanner and can't find anyone around that knows anything, PM me and I'll mail you mine to borrow.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingZebra34
The codes will store wether or not the light is on.

The HDC cuts off when you use the brakes so I'm guessing the brake switch circuit having an issue wouldnthrow a code for the HDC? Maybe.

Best to pull codes. Guessing with electronics is playing darts in the dark.

HDC illuminates the brake lights through a separate switch from the pedal switch. It's an electronic switch in the SLABS computer. It will cause the HDC light to illuminate if it senses a loss of signal through the brake light system.

Old 05-08-2019, 10:07 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bringing this back up. My hill decent light comes on randomly as well. Sometimes immediately upon startup but other times it appears to be after I brake hard. I was on the highway yesterday and had to slam on my brakes and the light came on. I have a code reader arriving in mail today. What should I be looking for to solve the issue?

Old 06-12-2019, 03:33 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced my brake light switch and the light still comes on randomly. Any ideas where to go next?

Old 06-12-2019, 09:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

My HDC light came on after my throttle body froze and the throttle stuck partially open. I ended up with 4021 position sensor fault and 4110 sticking throttle fault. Check your codes.

Quick Reply: Hill Decent Light on by itself