Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hill descent doesn't illuminate or work; no warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hill descent doesn't illuminate or work; no warning lights

i just purchased disco #3 (2001 SD ) and this one is a bit of a basket case but had low miles (105k) and a strong motor with no lifter noise

i know how to use HDC- neutral, low range, select gear (i tried in all forward gears), push HDC button.

Now, i know that if i've done something wrong the light flashes and the car chimes.

i also know that when you use this feature it chimes when you turn it off.

and i know it chimes when switching t-case gears.

so, when i go to use it, i do not get the HDC light at all nor do i have warning lights (abs TC) (and i have verified that these warning lights do work when starting the car). My TC seems to work

When i go through all of the steps, i get no confirmation of the HDC system even existing until i go to turn off the HDC which doesn't seem to work and the car chimes at me as soon as i press the button to disengage it.

i've also tried searching this one...

so, can anyone tell me if there is a relay sensor fuse or anything that might be causing this?

Old 01-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

What colour is the light? There are a number of different light /chime combos, they're explained in the user manual. Start there and figure out what exactly it's trying to tell you.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the flashing hdc light is green and at the top left hand side of the instrument cluster then try this. Put your truck in low and press the mode button. If it shows a green S for sport and not an M for manual then its your high/low detect switch. You can get it at the dealer for $70, they will prob. Have to order it for you.

I recently had the same problem and some of the guys on here helped me out, now my hdc is as right as rain.
In the case that the hdc light is amber and has a ! Beside it then its is something different

Old 01-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Three Wheeling

thanks guys, the HDC light only comes on green at start-up... i have verified now that all the lights are there, working and not painted over!

i have also verified that while the lights work and it's giving me no warnings the TC and the ABS are not functioning

the high low switch works i can use both sport and manual modes at the corret t-case gear

the HDC light doesn't come on at all when i engage it... it only shows green when you start the car so that's how i know the light works

any ideas? i checked the fuses... all ok... relay perhaps or bad ABS/TC brain?

thanks again

Old 01-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Three Wheeling

also, my fuel door switch functions when the car is running...

Old 01-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Three Wheeling

ok, found this connector hanging freely near the a/c fan... i'm going to go ahead and guess this is somehow related to my issues?

i don't even see anything for it to plug into, but a space where it looks like a computer is missing

Attached Thumbnails Hill descent doesn't illuminate or work; no warning lights-01072013965%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 01-07-2013, 11:30 AM
Three Wheeling

and the traction control light actually does NOT illuminate during self check cycle

Old 01-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

On my 2002 SE7 it does not engage either. I am also intrigued by your situation.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Ouch! If you don't have TC or anti-lock you've got bigger problems to worry about than your HDC.
Beyond my expertise, but sounds expensive. Sorry about that.
Good Luck!

Old 01-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Three Wheeling

abs actually works... i'm starting to think the CDL is somehow engaged?

Quick Reply: Hill descent doesn't illuminate or work; no warning lights