Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

holy s#$%, the Discos engine just blew up

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default holy s#$%, the Discos engine just blew up

I am on the side of the road waiting for a tow. I was driving about 55 just cruising down the road, and boom! Smoke filling the rearview, oddly the engine still sputtering, but I pulled over and there is definitely a hole I'm the side of the block, looks like cylinder 7.

Everything was fine with this disco until I did the TB cleaning. Since then, I've replaced all the plugs and just replaced the wires trying to resolve a recurring number 7 misfire and was driving to have the light cleared when this happened. Im sure they are related, my wife has already told me about 100 times, but I think that she could be right, something broke the rod.

So, should I buy a new engine or sell a mint 02 for parts?

Old 02-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sell it to me really cheap!!!! You will reap many rewards. Just kidding. This is the perfect opportunity if you have always wanted the power of a 4.6, or just get a new 4.0 and put a lot of miles on it, but always enjoy your self.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Get a 4.6 from a rolled 2004. Keep it going

Old 02-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

This throttle body cleaning seems like it creates more problems for everyone that does it.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
Get a 4.6 from a rolled 2004. Keep it going
Yeah that would be great, pm me if you know of one.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Drifting

Ask and you shall receive... Came across this while I was searching for some running boards... Contact the seller as it seems he is parting it out, hopefully he can hook you up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Runni...Q5fAccessories

Old 02-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Frank4
This throttle body cleaning seems like it creates more problems for everyone that does it.
You know, I had some serious concerns about spraying a can of cleaner into the tb and then turning on the engine, but I thought I was doing preventative maintainance that is supposed to be done on these vehicles to keep them running well. Preventative maintainance should never cause problems it should prevent them, so I did as the instructions said, "Don't be cheap, use the whole can."

Well I did and I think that there is a good chance that it was the cause for my now undriveable discovery. It probably tried to compress whatever amount of liquid was in the combustion chamber and cracked/bent the rod, which took a 100 miles or so to releave itself of its burden and flug inself through the wall of the block and onto the street below.

I guess there's a chance that it wasn't the tb cleaning, but the disco has just over 68 thousand miles. It has been maintained well, always had appropriate octane fuel, and has not been abused in any way. It used to be a lady driven mall disco. It had no problems in the 9 months I've owned it until the tb cleaning, and now the engine looks like it just took a 50cal round to it. Disgusting.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by VFib-911
Ask and you shall receive... Came across this while I was searching for some running boards... Contact the seller as it seems he is parting it out, hopefully he can hook you up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Runni...Q5fAccessories
Thanks, I'm going to contact the seller. I wonder, for all the money I'm going to have to spend now, are there any proven options for a diesel or better gas v8 for this?

Old 02-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Mudding

Can anyone tell me what this means?

4.6L, VIN 9, 7th digit), (Discovery), w/sec air inj 46K OEM T166-D

I know there were some bad 03 engines, were there bad 04s as well? Is this anywhere near that bad lot? My disco doesn't have secondary air inj, is this removable for a swap? What is T166-D?

Old 02-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your engine. I agree, dumping a whole can of carb cleaner into your engine sounds like a terrible idea. I'm no expert, but that can't be good for the bearings in there.

Quick Reply: holy s#$%, the Discos engine just blew up