Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to check for Head gasket vs. cracked sleeves/block?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to check for Head gasket vs. cracked sleeves/block?

I have a 04 Disco 4.6L that I just had the engine rebuilt on. A month later it is consuming coolant in cylinders 1,2,6 and 8, about an inch of the reservoir per hour of driving. There is no external coolant leaking. The shop that rebuilt the engine wants it removed and shipped to them to determine fault (Install or rebuild). The labor to remove and re-install the engine would be my cost. and I fear they will try to blame it on install and not cover the engine.

The engine was supposedly rebuilt with new top hat style sleeves. But I have my doubts about everything now.

If it's a head gasket I would rather just pay to have the head gasket replaced. it's almost the same price as removing and shipping the engine.

My shop can't say for certain without tearing down the engine.
They used a bore scope to diagnose which cylinders were clean, and which had carbon build up.

Is there any way to determine which it is without removing the heads?

Last edited by rewi9d; 04-27-2010 at 01:50 PM. Reason: wrong info
Old 04-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

The heads have to come off to verify for sure. Are you getting lots of coolant in your oil?
The shop should warranty this work, why are you having to pay for the labor?

Old 04-27-2010, 02:19 PM
Three Wheeling

no coolant in the oil. just shiny pistons.

I sourced the engine myself from out of state. They are looking to blame it on the install, and it was a parts only warranty anyway.

The shop that installed the engine is local, but they won't warranty the other companys product as they were not involved in the purchase.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:47 PM
Three Wheeling

is it possible since the engine has been rebuilt that the head bolts just need to be re-torqued?

Old 04-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default what....

Maybe i am truley missing something..... The people who rebuilt it..." The ones who where responsable for torqueing all the head bolts and installing the head gasket.. etc..etc" are telling you that the people who just droped it in and reconnected hoses and wires, alternator are responsable for the headgasket or block leaking.... " Yea it must be the alternator... I would be beating on the builder...Sounds like they are already trying to pass the blame...

My 2 cents, Good luck... Chris

Old 04-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rewi9d
no coolant in the oil. just shiny pistons.

I sourced the engine myself from out of state. They are looking to blame it on the install, and it was a parts only warranty anyway.

The shop that installed the engine is local, but they won't warranty the other companys product as they were not involved in the purchase.
Can't blame your local shop for their position. How far away is the engine shop? It might be less costly for you to have an auto carrier deliver your LR to them, let them do their warranty work with the engine in the vehicle, and you can drive it home after it's repaired.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:41 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rewi9d
is it possible since the engine has been rebuilt that the head bolts just need to be re-torqued?
You can't re-torque Rover head bolts, they are stretch bolts.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:09 AM
Three Wheeling

Yeah, I don't blame my local shop at all. I totally see where he is coming from. and obviously it's not their fault. That's why I know the machine shop is screwy.

The machine shop is halfway across the country. I thought about driving there too, but it's just too far.

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
You can't re-torque Rover head bolts, they are stretch bolts.
Thanks Mike.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Another option: Can they send a mechanic to your home to replace the head gasket? That is the cheaper way to solve the problem.... if the problem is the head gasket.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by johnkbl
Another option: Can they send a mechanic to your home to replace the head gasket? That is the cheaper way to solve the problem.... if the problem is the head gasket.
It's literally halfway across the country. 4 hour plane flight. and we don't know if it's the head gasket or a cracked block/sleeve.

Quick Reply: How to check for Head gasket vs. cracked sleeves/block?