Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I get this fan off to get to the water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009 | 10:18 PM
TReK

So what size is a D2? No one seems to know for sure. I'm just curious as I'm sure mine will have to come off sooner or later and the big crescent wrenches I have are too fat to fit in the gap. Harbor freight also has a clutch fan tool but I'm not sure if it has the correct sizes.

Old 07-22-2009 | 10:38 PM
Rock Crawling

This is exactly the tool that I used. Ford Fan Clutch Tool. I'll have to stick the calipers on it tomorrow to find the exact size in mm, but it fit and it worked, that's all I care about.

Old 07-22-2009 | 10:45 PM
TReK

If you can measure it that would be a great thing to know. So with that clutch wrench you use the smaller wrench to hold it and the larger wrench attached to a breaker bar to actually loosen the nut?

Old 07-22-2009 | 10:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Nope, I left my serp belt on, put the smaller of the two on the nut at the back of the clutch, and gave it a good pop with the ball peen in the right direction, which is LEFT BTW. After that, it came right off. Now getting the retaining bolt out of the crankshaft pulley was a whole nother story.

Old 07-22-2009 | 11:06 PM
TReK

You know what I just checked the shop manual and you are correct it is a right handed thread. Not sure where I got it was reverse threaded. I will edit my original post so I don't trip up anyone else.

To the OP sorry if I mislead you (tightening it a bit can help break a stuck a stuck thread though), if the whacking it did not work, let it soak overnight in penetrating oil and try again if you can get it hot by driving that would help too (don't be afraid to give it a nice solid whack). The other tricks like tightening then loosening or tapping with a hammer won't apply here. Personally I would take it off with the fan on if at all possible.

Last edited by lipadj46; 07-22-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-23-2009 | 02:34 AM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Alright ladies, the shaft is 36mm. I rented another sent of tools for this job and found that the 36mm was the closest fit. The wrench in this set had been badly spread but it was nothing that 20 or 30 whacks against the concrete couldn't fix. That being said I still couldn't break the fan loose with a hammer, another wrench, baseball bat, tire iron , hockey stick , 9 iron , right or left. So I removed the three bolts on the pulley and have been working around it with various extensions and joints. It is 2:30 in the morning in Memphis and I have one bolt left that is going to have to wait for the morning. There are 9 eff ing bolts on this thing.... 9. More posts to come I am sure..

Old 07-23-2009 | 07:41 AM
TReK

It's a love hate thing with these trucks. My wife actually mentioned trading in mine on Obama's gas guzzler plan. I said over my dead body, she said that can be arranged. Good luck let us know how it goes.

Old 07-24-2009 | 05:14 PM
Drifting

Get a strap wrench ($8) from sears (so you can get it replaced if you break it - ask me how I know). Remove the belt. Hold pulley with strap wrench and use the 36mm wrench to remove the fan nut. You may have to wedge the strap wrench against the alternator and whack the 36mm wrench with a BFH. In the past I've had luck pounding on the nut in the correct direction with a chisel too.

Old 07-26-2009 | 03:18 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

It is finally done, words can't express how happy I am about it . Getting the pump off with the fan still attached was an absolute B#%CH !! I would not recommend doing this unless it was an absolute last resort as in this case. I cut a side deal with one of the mechanics at my local LR dealer and he was able to remove the fan and clutch. And by the way mine is not reverse thread!!! But I do not think that was the reason I couldn't break mine free, I tried both ways. My old pump was so worn out that the pulley was not able to keep enough tension on the belt and all of my accessory pulleys turned while I was wrenching. I have had everything back together for a couple of days now and no leaks or over heating!!! Thanks again for all of your help, this forum is great!!!

Old 07-26-2009 | 05:37 PM
Drifting

For future reference, only 3.9/4.2 motors with multiple belts (Range Rovers and Defenders) have the reverse-threaded fan nut. All Disco's 3.9/4.0/4.6 have a single serpentine belt and thus the normally threaded fan nut. Which can be a stinker to get off

Quick Reply: How do I get this fan off to get to the water pump?