Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I remove the roof rail?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 01:07 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I remove the roof rail?

Anyone try removing the factory roof rail on a D2?

The parking garage at my place is 1950mm... I'm thinking to remove the rails (since I never use them) so I can fit in the parking.

Is this a pain? I'm no genius with repairs so maybe I should get a pro to do it. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited by discohue; 10-04-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, it is a pain. Plus, I don't know that it'd give you the necessary clearance... The roof-line is slightly lower in front, so before you go to all the trouble of removing the rails be sure you measure from the ground to the top of the truck in back. If it is less than 1950mm, it won't be by much. If the absence of roof rails gives you enough clearance to fit, it'd still be awfully tight and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with it!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:15 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

You have to pull the headliner loose from the sides to get at the bolts that retain the rails.
Once removed it will leave four large holes in the roof that need to be plugged.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:36 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow sounds like a job and a half!

Antichrist, any idea as to how best to plug the holes?

Disco_fever, thanks for the advice. I've seen some vans that are 1935mm tall in the parking garage, and there's plenty of headroom... not sure why they limit it to 1950mm (there's a wooden sign thingy hanging at the entrance, though looking around inside the place looks a lot higher than that... maybe they measure the lowest point which is prob some corner with a low hanging pipe?)

Old 10-05-2009, 08:52 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You will have a good time getting the headliner out. if you are going to proceed I would suggest you either paint the headliner or recover it with new fabric. What year is your disco? You should also check the seals on the drains from the sunroofs to make sure they won’t be leaking any time soon. As for the holes I would treat them like body work and patch it., dependent on how big the hole is. But then again what do I know I have a big @ss scratch/dent down the side of my D2….

Old 10-05-2009, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

i think a Discovery without the stock roof rail looks awful. I would park that rig out side and leave the rails.

But to answer your q, like Anti said, you have to remove the front half of the head liner to get the nuts. and cover up the holes.

and like hilltoppersx said, if you do get to that part, check the drain tubes on your sunroof.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:10 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by discohue
Wow sounds like a job and a half!

Antichrist, any idea as to how best to plug the holes?

Disco_fever, thanks for the advice. I've seen some vans that are 1935mm tall in the parking garage, and there's plenty of headroom... not sure why they limit it to 1950mm (there's a wooden sign thingy hanging at the entrance, though looking around inside the place looks a lot higher than that... maybe they measure the lowest point which is prob some corner with a low hanging pipe?)
measure the hole and go to an electrical supply house. They see rain tight plugs for electrical panels that you can pop into the holes. Might want to add a little silicone when installing, but people have done this to fit full roof racks to their trucks.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

like okdiscoguy said, it has been done before to allow the low profile roof racks but that would be the ONLY reason I would remove them. =)

Old 10-05-2009, 11:53 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can plug the holes with bondo and paint over them, but there is NO way I would do that to my disco just so i could park it under cover. If you want to park it there that bad maybe consider running smaller tires to get your height down. BTW you could also cut your coil springs to lower it some but I wouldn't do that.

also, running lower tire pressure will lower it but will eat up your tires faster.

Last edited by NiteTrain; 10-05-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I removed the rails on mine. You don't have to remove the whole front of the headliner, just pull it back from the sides. The bolt heads are pretty close to the side.
Discoveries are ugly with or without the OEM roof rails, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Quick Reply: How do I remove the roof rail?