Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to fix a hole in Headlight Assembly????

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 10:39 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry How to fix a hole in Headlight Assembly????

Got a rock straight through my headlight a couple weeks ago, and with the glorious non-stop wet weather we've had up here in Seattle, I've got water and/or condensation in the light 24/7. Finally yesterday, the bulb (literally) exploded.

I am planning on tackling this over the weekend and wanted to see if anyone had any luck sealing an eraser sized hole in a headlight assembly? Any ideas or things to try are welcome.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A very temporary fix would be some strong heavy duty clear tape. Keep in mind i am no professional and i wouldn't use this to any degree of permanence so any1 that wants to shoot down that idea is more than welcome.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Here is a deal on one. This guy on eBay has all new genuine Rover parts, I have bought many items from him. It will only help if its your LH side.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-G...Q5fAccessories

Old 01-20-2011, 11:05 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Livingintheskies
A very temporary fix would be some strong heavy duty clear tape. Keep in mind i am no professional and i wouldn't use this to any degree of permanence so any1 that wants to shoot down that idea is more than welcome.
Funny you should say tape...I'm already using a strip of electrical tape

On another note are DI and DII (99-02) headlight assemblies the same/a direct replacement?

Old 01-20-2011, 11:09 AM
TReK
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bosshogt
Here is a deal on one. This guy on eBay has all new genuine Rover parts, I have bought many items from him. It will only help if its your LH side.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-G...Q5fAccessories
THANKS! Just so happens to be the LH one that's giving me the trouble. Just placed a bid since it's so cheap right now, but still looking for a cheap temporary fix or a way to seal it up more permanently....Lift and Tires is just around the corner so all cash is being diverted to that cause

Old 01-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aahh tape, the amateur's multi-tool. good luck on the bid.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Banned

Cheap temporary fix = superglue for glass.... assuming you have the piece that broke out. If not then there were some lens repair kits on the market, but I believe these are more for plastic lenses than glass head lights. Also depening on size (pencil eraser or bigger eraser?) you can use some epoxy resin to plug the hole. I've used superglue and epoxy resin to repair glass head lights, but ultimately you need to replace it.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:18 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Bundu
Cheap temporary fix = superglue for glass.... assuming you have the piece that broke out. If not then there were some lens repair kits on the market, but I believe these are more for plastic lenses than glass head lights. Also depening on size (pencil eraser or bigger eraser?) you can use some epoxy resin to plug the hole. I've used superglue and epoxy resin to repair glass head lights, but ultimately you need to replace it.
Don't have the piece that broke (pencil eraser size), but I might be able to scrape something up that will work. Thanks!

Any idea on the DI/DII headlight exchange? They look VERY similar and there are 2 wrecked DI's close to me that I could snag the assemblies off for much cheaper than new and have in my possession quicker than this eBay auction...jerks already outbid me!

Old 01-20-2011, 02:39 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The DI/DII headlight assemblies won't be a direct swap. They are a little different in shape.

If you can't get the one off ebay, call Will Tillery and he can get you a good deal on one usually. www.roverguy.com

Old 01-20-2011, 03:28 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Camdisco24
The DI/DII headlight assemblies won't be a direct swap. They are a little different in shape.

If you can't get the one off ebay, call Will Tillery and he can get you a good deal on one usually. www.roverguy.com
Damn...they look so similar...you SURE? Thanks Cam.

This would have been a good time to "upgrade" to the 03/04 style lights if I wasn't about to drop so much $$$ on lift/tires.

Quick Reply: How to fix a hole in Headlight Assembly????