Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is adding ACE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 03:50 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by wreckdiver1321
I wouldn't call it "stripping it of it's integrity." Some people just want an easier, simpler truck to work on with fewer fancy bits so they don't have to worry about more things going bad.

I don't mind fixing my fancy bits
I understand what you mean here. But then again why buy something just to strip it down of all the fancy bits it came stock with? Why not save yourself the hassle time and money and just buy a older Jeep? They dont have any of those sophisticated gadgets on board and they are easy to work on, cheap to modify and supposedly more reliable and better gas mileage.

LR installed all those gadgets for a reason. Jeep did NOT install those gadgets for a reason.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
I understand what you mean here. But then again why buy something just to strip it down of all the fancy bits it came stock with? Why not save yourself the hassle time and money and just buy a older Jeep? They dont have any of those sophisticated gadgets on board and they are easy to work on, cheap to modify and supposedly more reliable and better gas mileage.

LR installed all those gadgets for a reason. Jeep did NOT install those gadgets for a reason.
Because getting a jeep is just trading for a heavier turd than the one you had before.

Maintained Disco's are more reliable than any jeep imo. I have my fair share of friends who have owned them, my mother included and they aren't any better than a LR. Actually I take that back because I would never get a new LR, unless I had tons of money.

Just because someone doesn't want ACE doesn't mean they should get a jeep. It's same line of thinking that people don't want sunroofs because they eventually leak because they are made of crap. Same reason guys paint their headliner, because LR sucked it up and didn't make them to last.
SLS is nice until you have to fix it.

If you want a top of the line stock Disco with all the factory gizmos that is all well and dandy. I think you'd be hard pressed to find one with all of the stuff working now. But it's nice to have an SE with beefier tires and a lift. It gives it a nice ride, you don't have to worry about SLS and you've given your Disco more attitude and capability. Since I added my lift I think every Disco should be lifted. Otherwise they just look like big sagging golf carts on the road. Keep your 04 long enough you will come around

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 02-23-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:23 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

They installed those gadgets for the soccer moms who wanted a smooth ride and a SUV that handled like a car, now that those gadgets no longer work, and the cost of repair is equal to the value of the truck, its best to "delete" them.
Nobody spends $3000 to fix a $2000 car, unless its a collectors car and the DII ain't no collectors car.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
They installed those gadgets for the soccer moms who wanted a smooth ride and a SUV that handled like a car, now that those gadgets no longer work, and the cost of repair is equal to the value of the truck, its best to "delete" them.
Nobody spends $3000 to fix a $2000 car, unless its a collectors car and the DII ain't no collectors car.
I think he just called you a soccer mom.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth, I had a 2001 disco with ACE and my 04 doesn't have it. I don't know if its the year separation in ownership (sold 01 year prior to getting 04) but I do not remember the handling being exceptionally better with than without.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have it on my 04 and have never been scared of the handling. I mean they handle pretty well for an suv. Are you guys trying to street race these or something? I don't get it.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:19 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by MC04DII
I don't have it on my 04 and have never been scared of the handling. I mean they handle pretty well for an suv. Are you guys trying to street race these or something? I don't get it.

ACE was not designed for hooligans riding tight corners in sports cars. People often mistake the purpose of the ACE system and consequently they also underestimate its potential. Consider extreme circumstances where you are forced to make a sudden unexpected evasive maneuver of your SUV. For example up here in New England there are 4 common reasons to perform a sudden evasive maneuver:

1) Moose
2) Deer
3) Wild Turkeys
4) Bears

Imagine driving down a road at 45-50 MPH (Legal speed limit) and suddenly a Moose pops pops up on the road in front of you. Being how top heavy our SUV's are, combined with the rate of speed we will either collide with the animal or try and slow down and swerve around the animal to avoid a potentially fatal collision. Without the ACE I truly feel VERY unsafe in this scenario.

ACE like the SLS also perform very well in off-road applications. So why dont you do some research into the innovations applied by LR so you can better appreciate them. One thing I like about LR is how their innovations can be applied to multiple applications. A "soccer mom" as Spike calls them might use the SLS system to lower the vehicle to make loading in groceries into the back easier. SLS also makes attaching a trailer easier since you can lower the vehicle down, and of course the SLS also improves the stability of the vehicle while towing because it raises the rear end which otherwise would be sagging down due to the weight of whatevers being towed. In off-road applications the SLS can be used to maximize ground clearance and assist with approach angles on those tight areas. Same thing can be said with the ACE because LR designed it to be used in different applications making it ideal for many different types of people and their needs.

And Spike, may god be with you and your family if ever your forced to perform an evasive maneuver in your Disco, considering all the extra weight you have mounted on the roof. I love full size roof racks/baskets to but they only make the issue of a top heavy SUV even worse, especially without the ACE.

Last edited by TRIARII; 02-23-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaYFLb8WMGM

ACE was not designed for hooligans riding tight corners in sports cars. People often mistake the purpose of the ACE system and consequently they also underestimate its potential. Consider extreme circumstances where you are forced to make a sudden unexpected evasive maneuver of your SUV. For example up here in New England there are 4 common reasons to perform a sudden evasive maneuver:

1) Moose
2) Deer
3) Wild Turkeys
4) Bears

Imagine driving down a road at 45-50 MPH (Legal speed limit) and suddenly a Moose pops pops up on the road in front of you. Being how top heavy our SUV's are, combined with the rate of speed we will either collide with the animal or try and slow down and swerve around the animal to avoid a potentially fatal collision. Without the ACE I truly feel VERY unsafe in this scenario.

ACE like the SLS also perform very well in off-road applications. So why dont you do some research into the innovations applied by LR so you can better appreciate them. One thing I like about LR is how their innovations can be applied to multiple applications. A "soccer mom" as Spike calls them might use the SLS system to lower the vehicle to make loading in groceries into the back easier. SLS also makes attaching a trailer easier since you can lower the vehicle down, and of course the SLS also improves the stability of the vehicle while towing because it raises the rear end which otherwise would be sagging down due to the weight of whatevers being towed. In off-road applications the SLS can be used to maximize ground clearance and assist with approach angles on those tight areas. Same thing can be said with the ACE because LR designed it to be used in different applications making it ideal for many different types of people and their needs.

And Spike, may god be with you and your family if ever your forced to perform an evasive maneuver in your Disco, considering all the extra weight you have mounted on the roof. I love full size roof racks/baskets to but they only make the issue of a top heavy SUV even worse, especially without the ACE.

I didn't bother reading your full post, it looks like the general **** you usually post, but I think I got the general idea of it.

Have you ever made a sudden maneuver in your truck? If so you would realize how silly you are sounding right now. Ill be honest, I come from a background full of hoonigans, and I still hang out with them, and occasionally convoy places with them. My Lifted D1 with its fullsize rack, tool chest and full fuel cans on top of that rack can keep up with them on nearly any back country mountain road. Disco's arent as top heavy as you think, and I am surprised that you think they are that top heavy since you are constantly bragging about how much research you have put into Land Rovers. Maybe if you would bother taking your rig off road once or twice you would see just how far over you can get your disco before you tip it. Ill give you a hint; you will be falling out before it falls over...... I think the real numbers are something along the lines of 45 degrees before you really have to start freaking out. Obviously, 45 degrees in an off road situation is different then swerving on a road, but you would still be pretty hard pressed to flip a Disco. Got try hitting a moose, I think you will be surprised..

Old 02-24-2013, 03:17 AM
TReK
Old 02-24-2013, 03:22 AM
TReK

I bet DiscoMike knows the guys above with the kickass hearse! Their based right out of Denver Colorado and they have yearly hearse conventions.

Quick Reply: How hard is adding ACE?