Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long before major engine trouble (typically)?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 11:51 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How long before major engine trouble (typically)?

Hi all, this post is more of a survey intended to gather experiences from Disco II owners regarding major engine trouble and repairs.

I just bought my Rover at 107k and TBH, am a little gunshy about putting miles on the thing, for fear of having a HG problem, sleeve problems, or any number of things that seem typical of 100k+ engines. I thought perhaps I'd use the Rover as a weekend vehicle for going to the mountains or into town, whatever, but my second vehicle is an '85 Ford F-250 with a carbureted 460 V8 engine in it-- the 10mpg it gets is a huge deterrent for making it a full-time daily driver to and from work. So the Disco will most likely have shared commuting duties, meaning I'll probably be racking up 20k+ per year on it.

That said, I want to be prepared for what may eventually come, but am curious as to when you all started experiencing problems that lead to expensive repairs?

Also when symptoms first showed up, were they major, or was there ample warning of impending failure?

I intend to do all the maintenance items in the sticky before I start putting miles on the thing. I should note that the coolant in the expansion(?) tank looks like its brand new out of the bottle. Bright pink, looks like Dexcool or maybe Pentosin or something. Might this indicate recent service to the cooling system, or are these engines known for keeping the coolant clean for extended periods? I know coolant color or perceived "cleanliness" is far from scientific, but if the normal factory coolant in use for 100k always comes out dirty, this could be a strong indicator of cooling system maintenance.

I have no papers / records from the PO (bought this rig at auction), but the engine is whisper quiet and purrs like a kitten under all conditions. All fluids look clean and serviced, except there does appear to be a whole lotta crud looking down into the oil filler-- I suspect there's a good amount of varnish and perhaps some sludge inside, but I could be wrong as the view from the oil filler is poor at best.

Anyways, please share your experience regarding longevity of these engines and what major problems you had to tackle at what mileage. I know the goal should be to be prepared for the worst at all times, but this info is very helpful to me nonetheless. TIA for the help / contributions.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:10 AM
Mudding

Also, is there anything I would look for that might be evidence of a prior head gasket replacement, or even a replaced engine? Or other major work to the engine? Or is there no way of knowing without documentation? Wonder if I could obtain service records from the stealership, or do they charge for this?

Old 02-25-2014, 10:39 AM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Generally if the heads have been done correctly they will be shinier and cleaner looking than the rest of the engine. That's not always the case as some people don't machine the heads while replacing the HG's. Factory HG's usually need replacing around at around 90k give or take (alot) :-).

You might be able to get a carfax on it, if you got it at auction there is no telling whether it is local and what dealer might have saved any info. Chances are the warrantee ran out at 4 years or 50k and that was the end of dealer maintenance. At this point, prevention is the name of the game and you probably have some catching up to do.

Is there still an oil change sticker in the windshield? that might indicate where it may have been serviced.

Get a code reader if you haven't already... That will give you a heads up and some sense of security as you'll be more in tune with how your truck is running.

And yes, do the major service, especially the front drive shaft... Check your coolant and oil levels regularly, weekly if not more depending on miles until you get a sense of consumption etc.

Factory recommends full coolant flush and change every 30k but the presence of new coolant could indicate a recent overheating issue. If you do have new head gaskets this could be the reason too. Lots of these go up for sale as soon as an overheat happens and someone tells the owner it will cost them a new $10,000 engine. Use code reader to monitor real time coolant temps. the temp gauge is a fancy pants idiot light that only warns when too late. kinda like the oil light.

And finally, don't be afraid to HAVE SOME FUN!

Last edited by Dave03S; 02-25-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:13 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best suggestion I can come up with is to TEST the health of the engine, then don't worry about it. The head gaskets on my engine failed at 55K, on other cars at 150K. What's the point of worrying?

Do a test for exhaust gases in the coolant, a compression test, and a visual inspection of the outside of the heads, then forget about it. Continue to maintain the engine properly, of course.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This is not an ideal Daily Driver unless you live north of Maine. There are far more reliable, cheaper cars out there, and since you already have a capable truck (4X4?), I'd recommend you sell it before one of those big bills come along which will either tank the value or cost a lot to remedy.

If you're intent on keeping it, bravo! The Rover community needs more people like you who just aren't willing to part with a unique, winning personality. Expect to do HGs soon, but I wouldn't do it until it needs it. Keep an eye on oil pressure as the factory setting doesn't give a "check engine" light until it's too late. Invest in an Ultragauge (or similar) to monitor temps real time and read codes. Replace/rebuild the front driveshaft with a greasable one if it hasn't been already (will save your tranny!). If you have the coin, you can consider a top hat liner block. There are several reputable company's that make them and they are much more reliable. I wouldn't install one of those though until you have a major issue with the engine you have.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:27 AM
Mudding

I do like the Rover and have no interest in selling it. It rides like nothing I've ever driven before (like riding on a cloud) and is smooth as butter. I just love the thing, inside and out, simple as that. Working on vehicles is a hobby of mine, and to have one that breaks more often than others doesn't bother me. I have the time and space for repairs, along with a second reliable vehicle.

However, economics does dictate that the Rover be used for some commuting. Not ideal, but I'll make it work somehow. And yes, the old Ford is 4x4, but it's a far cry from the Rover. Plus in the Rover, I don't need half a football field to turn into a parking space at the mall. The Rover actually turns sharper than most econoboxes I've driven.

The front differential failed at some point, because it did take out the transmission-- but instead of replacing it, someone welded it up. It was only about a quarter to half dollar size hole in the side of the transmission case. It looks like a quality repair that ought to hold up for the life of the vehicle. The new driveshaft is an OEM unit, which I'll be replacing in the near future with one that can be greased / serviced.

So what you guys are saying, is that it's unusual for the coolant to be new, unless it's been serviced recently? I'm really wanting to know if the head gasket has been replaced, but I suppose I'll find out eventually. No other semi-reliable way of checking that it's been replaced? I've put about 1,000 miles on it since purchasing the vehicle. I changed the oil to Synthetic 5w-40 right away. So far, no oil or coolant loss has been observed, levels stay right where they're at.

Does a headgasket failure come on slowly, or is it rather sudden, requiring quick or immediate repair?

I have a Bluetooth OBD-II adapter which can read sensor inputs, including coolant temp. I have to locate it because I'm in the middle of moving into a new house presently. I'll check and keep an eye on coolant temps-- Unfortunate that the gauge is worthless, lots of auto manufacturers are going this direction (glorified idiot light). Ford has been doing it on their trucks for 20 years now.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Not sure about the coolant, but I am sure you need to switch to the green stuff. Dexcool will clog your system!

So far, I've seen a lot of HG fail slowly...not too many that leave you stranded.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If possible, get as much background info on the landy to see what has been done on it for maintenance. Carfax is certainly a good start, but go back to the buyer and see if you can get your hands on any previous service records. Disco mike's 60k service is a very good place to start.

Some things to look for are:
-coolant lose
-brakes and calipers
-oil pressure
-engine temps
-"ticking" in engine compartment
-tie rods

I've had my '03 disco for just over a year. 2nd owner, everyday car. Bought it at 69k miles ands now I have logged 86k for miles. No off-roading stuff. Soccer dad stuff. No HG stuff yet, but I have had some hiccups along the way.

In sum, no telling when anything will go on your disco or how long before you get into the high ticket items. Try and find a local LR mechanic to help you along the way should you encounter something beyond your skill set. Above all, enjoy your ride!

Old 02-26-2014, 06:34 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Dan7
Not sure about the coolant, but I am sure you need to switch to the green stuff. Dexcool will clog your system!
Oh geez, not another forum with a case of the Dexcool fever!

Old 02-26-2014, 11:01 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My disco is a DAILY driver, it's been our ONLY vehicle for over a year. I do check engine fluids at least twice a week and also own a live data scanner. Just drive it and don't neglect it. Enjoy it, I do..............also my disco just hit 150k miles and it's had a tick after warming up for more than a year(planning on pinning the liners when the weather turns warm).

Last edited by poncePR; 02-26-2014 at 11:04 AM.

Quick Reply: How long before major engine trouble (typically)?