Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How noisy are General Grabber AT2?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How noisy are General Grabber AT2?

I was going to buy General Grabber AT2 from tirerack. When I added them to my cart this came up:

The following tire you have selected has a higher load rating than the vehicle's Original Equipment (O.E.) tires. This typically results in increased ride harshness, which some customers may find undesirable.

To select a different tire, REMOVE the tire from your cart and search for a tire with a load rating that matches your vehicle's O.E. rating. To purchase the tire you have already selected, KEEP IN CART / CONTINUE.

Are these tires really noisy and harsh?

Old 05-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

No, that is more of a general disclaimer that they would probably put on any open tread type AT tire cause there are people out there that think all tires should sound like their original factory tires that have little or no traction to work with.
I believe you will be very happy with these tires, just make sure to rotate and balance them every 7500 miles or so to keep them wearing evenly.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:55 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks Mike

Old 05-01-2010, 09:41 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Get them. You'll love them.
I had Toyo Street tires on my disco before my General Grabbers and to be honest, the ride is now smoother and there is no noise difference. Great off road too!

Old 05-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default At2

Love mine, and frankly I was surprised at how relatively 'quiet' they actually turned out to be, at least more so than I anticipated they would be. And they look great and less than $700 installed!

Old 05-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Three Wheeling

Did you order the tires, or did you go local. Was 700 for 16s?

Old 05-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tapper
Did you order the tires, or did you go local. Was 700 for 16s?
Local independent tire shop that reps General, and yes -16's.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:43 PM
Mudding

Read the reviews on Tire Rack. You can read dozens of reviews and see what the weaknesses are. They even list "type of driving" so you can find people with similar type of desired result.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a full size 1996 Bronco XLT with the 351 that I bought new (it was the service manager's demo at a local Ford Dealer). The job I had at that time had me traveling from Pittsburgh to a variety of locations primarily in Ohio. I was averaging approximately 1000 miles a week round trip.

I put General Grabbers on it, what a mistake. You could visibly detect the wear each week. They did not hold up well doing 80mph on the interstate. Never got a chance to try them off-road. They were worn out in no time. I ended up switching to Michelins and they outlasted everything else i had tried.

I enjoyed the power and size of the Bronco, but I did not like the pushbutton automatic locking hubs. Primarily for the fact that once you locked them, you had to stop and change directions to unlock them. That was a PITA for winter driving, other than that it was great, but it rusted badly. I finally got tired of it and traded it for a MB420SEL.

Now I have my Discovery. I really like it. I was looking for the TKO's from Goodyear or Goodrich (I forget now) but could not find them locally in the 235/75's so I ended up at Sears on Veteran's Day where I bought the Bridgestone Dueler ATP's on sale. They have done very well. Good grip, not noisy at all.

I hear a lot of trucks going by my house every day, on some of them, all you can hear is the tire hum. Sounds like a thousand angry bumblebees.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:30 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco

I put General Grabbers on it, what a mistake. You could visibly detect the wear each week. They did not hold up well doing 80mph on the interstate. Never got a chance to try them off-road. They were worn out in no time. I ended up switching to Michelins and they outlasted everything else i had tried.
Did you have the original grabbers Ats or the At2? The original grabbers were crap, but the second generation is awesome. Mine still look new after a year.

Quick Reply: How noisy are General Grabber AT2?