Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to part with Disco II ? :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:07 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to part with Disco II ? :(

Just a girl here who actually has taken a lot of advice from the forums and tried really hard working on it to save her car from everyone who was "practical" stopping her in the tracks of her adventure...

That being said, I may have to let my 99 Disco II go as I'm the only fighter for it with no more money to spend. Issue is a blown head gasket and heads = $1600 to fix (as I've been quoted). It's been almost completley idle since August now. Unfortunatley I really don't have any extra $.

Anyhow, sob story aside (yep, drivin a little Saturn now), I would really appreciate any opinions anyone has on the most profitable way to let it go. Sell it outright advertising the engine probs, craigslist for parts (they would have to pull off), I just don't know.

I bought it in Jan. 2010 for $5000, it has approx 105-110K miles in awesome shape other than the head probs, completley redone cooling system (since August) and hate to see it go for nothing, well, honestly I just hate to see it goa at all, but the argument over keeping it in the driveway, or anywhere else, forever just doesn't seem like it's on my side.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 10-19-2010, 10:26 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you'll be lucky to get $1,500 for it not running...the head gasket kit is not that expensive..just requires tools and work. Any local rover clubs in your area? somebody might be willing to give you a hand.

or if you have tools you could take it apart yourself. That will let you know if you're able to do the job, won't cost you a penny, value of the rover will still be the same. Just be sure to take pics during the disassembly so you can look at them when it's time to put it all back together. good luck.

Last edited by NiteTrain; 10-19-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I think your could do your head gaskets, lower valley gasket, with new head bolts for about $500, if you could find a mechanical friend to help guide you. The first 4-5 hours is removing the top intake, alternator, move to the A/C compressor to side and your over half way there.
Here are a few links to help you estimate prices. You must use new strech head bolts.
So with these parts you are at $250. Anther $200 to have your heads cleaned and if needed resurfaced at a good shop. You can rent the torque wrenches at Autozone. Buy some Permatex ATV gasket sealer for the spots on the lower valley gasket. You will also need a 36mm fan wrench to remove the large cooling fan. I have not done mine yet, but I am mentally prepaired after reading about everyones adventure.
You should not have to sell your Rover if all you need is head gaskets. Where you able to confirm that is the problem? Any guy who has a good heart for a lady who owns a Discovery should want to show is manhood and help you out!

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/STC4082BK.cfm

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9224.cfm

Last edited by bosshogt; 10-19-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Mudding

Hard to see someone considering to let go...the wheels alone (with good tyres) could be $500...

Old 10-19-2010, 10:54 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bosshogt
I think your could do your head gaskets, lower valley gasket, with new head bolts for about $500,
or you could take a chance with your heads and bolts and just buy the gasket kit for $170

Old 10-19-2010, 11:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where in the US are you? I'm with everybody here, got to fix it, even if you sell it afterwards. To sell a car not running is to lose everything. The head gasket is not a big issue.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:50 PM
Mudding

BTTT.............

Let us know where you are located before you do anything.......

A SATURN for the love of Pete............

RS

Old 10-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with everyone else. Fix it yourself!

I'm a chick & did a HG job myself... in my driveway. It took me close to a week because I was working on it after work in the evenings. I'd say with a few random trips to the local parts store for gasket sealer, misc sockets I couldn't find around the house I had probably around $300-350 into it with the new bolts. I had my heads checked, but didn't need them machined.

Being 5'4" and a chick, I had a hard time with the head bolts. I ended up paying a big guy from craigslist $20 to come over and crack the headbolts loose for me, but other than that I did the whole job myself. I loaded the Rave manual up on the laptop and took it out with me. Set it right up in the engine bay & followed the steps.

The guys here are extremely helpful & if you have questions, the answer is usually just a post away.

I learned a lot along the way & I'm really glad I did the job myself. When it was done, I was pretty pretty confident that I could keep our beloved Rovers on the road for a long time to come.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Mudding

Where are you in the states? If you are close enough, I work for beer. You need to buy the head gasket kit, the head bolt kit, and a new thermostat. Get them all from Atlantic British.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Drifting
Default ?

Hopefully she pops back on and we can go about helping. It's only been a week or so.

Quick Reply: How to part with Disco II ? :(