Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   How to remove gear selector knob and gear indicator (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/how-remove-gear-selector-knob-gear-indicator-41467/)

bcolins 06-10-2011 10:15 AM

How to remove gear selector knob and gear indicator

I want to remove my gear selector knob and the gear indicator panel that rests on the center console so that I can remove and clean the rubber mat that sits on top of the center console.

Looked at the rave,....instructions just say "remove the knob, remove the gear indicator",....dont want to break anything by pulling too hard, so can someone tell me what is hold the knob and the indicator on?

BC

dcarr1971 06-10-2011 11:01 AM

No tricks to it. Just pull harder. The knob comes straight up. Be careful not to punch yourself in the eye when it comes loose...

bcolins 06-10-2011 11:43 AM

Thanks, any thoughts on how to get the "PRNDL" / Gear indicator panel off?......

BC

bcolins 06-10-2011 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by dcarr1971 (Post 251225)
No tricks to it. Just pull harder. The knob comes straight up. Be careful not to punch yourself in the eye when it comes loose...

Haha!........I've done that punch yourself in the eye thing......gave myself a black eye.....of course,....no one believed me when I told them that I did it myself...

dcarr1971 06-10-2011 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by bcolins (Post 251239)
Thanks, any thoughts on how to get the "PRNDL" / Gear indicator panel off?......

BC

I'm not sure I remember anything special about moving this part...it definitely wasn't as tough as the knob. Be gentle as there are wires to be disconnected from the underside of the indicator housing...

IIRC, If you look of the CDL shifter installation video by Lucky8 LLC I think he shows the removal of these parts. (BTW, Justin is a.k.a.- Fivespddisco on here, YouTube, and other Rover forums.)

ricrellim 06-10-2011 01:26 PM

The only video I saw had some young female just pull it off.... :confused: Yeah right.
I tried for a few minutes and gave up. I am going to make my 20yo Nephew try while I video it. Maybe I will upload the video for comedic value.

dcarr1971 06-10-2011 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by ricrellim (Post 251256)
The only video I saw had some young female just pull it off.... :confused: Yeah right.
I tried for a few minutes and gave up. I am going to make my 20yo Nephew try while I video it. Maybe I will upload the video for comedic value.

Yeah, they definitely loosen everything up before they shoot their videos, but it should give you the general idea.

Be sure to post up your video. It should be a hoot. I know my wife laughed good and hard when I pulled the shifter knob off my D2 for the first time and whacked myself in the forehead with it...:o

bcolins 06-10-2011 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by dcarr1971 (Post 251243)
I'm not sure I remember anything special about moving this part...it definitely wasn't as tough as the knob. Be gentle as there are wires to be disconnected from the underside of the indicator housing...

IIRC, If you look of the CDL shifter installation video by Lucky8 LLC I think he shows the removal of these parts. (BTW, Justin is a.k.a.- Fivespddisco on here, YouTube, and other Rover forums.)

Thanks for the suggestion, found the video, watched it,....yes, she made it look easier than it is,.....but she did give me the confidence to just go out in the garage and pull firmly on it and it came away.........10 years worth of spilled Coca Cola under there and the rubber mat was pretty nasty as well. Now all clean and happy.....(well, most of it anyway)

BC

ricrellim 06-10-2011 05:20 PM

At least you only found coffee. I already peeked under the indicator housing and I see Toothpicks, Bobby pins, pennies and coffee. It was a nasty hag who previously owned my truck and I have no idea how the lady even managed to get that crap in there. I plan on soaking my rubber mat in some oxyclean solution to remove the funk.

bcolins 06-10-2011 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by ricrellim (Post 251284)
At least you only found coffee. I already peeked under the indicator housing and I see Toothpicks, Bobby pins, pennies and coffee. It was a nasty hag who previously owned my truck and I have no idea how the lady even managed to get that crap in there. I plan on soaking my rubber mat in some oxyclean solution to remove the funk.

found about a dollar in (cola covered) change also and a phillips drive bit......hmmmmm

I cleaned the rubber mat in the sink for about 5 minutes with a scrub brush,...then let it dry out......sprayed a bit of the Duplicolor Bumper restorer I just used on my fender flares on it when it dryed......looks new now.