Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove gear selector knob and gear indicator

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How to remove gear selector **** and gear indicator

I want to remove my gear selector **** and the gear indicator panel that rests on the center console so that I can remove and clean the rubber mat that sits on top of the center console.

Looked at the rave,....instructions just say "remove the ****, remove the gear indicator",....dont want to break anything by pulling too hard, so can someone tell me what is hold the **** and the indicator on?

BC

Old 06-10-2011, 11:01 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

No tricks to it. Just pull harder. The **** comes straight up. Be careful not to punch yourself in the eye when it comes loose...

Old 06-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Winching

Thanks, any thoughts on how to get the "PRNDL" / Gear indicator panel off?......

BC

Old 06-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by dcarr1971
No tricks to it. Just pull harder. The **** comes straight up. Be careful not to punch yourself in the eye when it comes loose...
Haha!........I've done that punch yourself in the eye thing......gave myself a black eye.....of course,....no one believed me when I told them that I did it myself...

Old 06-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by bcolins
Thanks, any thoughts on how to get the "PRNDL" / Gear indicator panel off?......

BC
I'm not sure I remember anything special about moving this part...it definitely wasn't as tough as the ****. Be gentle as there are wires to be disconnected from the underside of the indicator housing...

IIRC, If you look of the CDL shifter installation video by Lucky8 LLC I think he shows the removal of these parts. (BTW, Justin is a.k.a.- Fivespddisco on here, YouTube, and other Rover forums.)

Old 06-10-2011, 01:26 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only video I saw had some young female just pull it off.... Yeah right.
I tried for a few minutes and gave up. I am going to make my 20yo Nephew try while I video it. Maybe I will upload the video for comedic value.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ricrellim
The only video I saw had some young female just pull it off.... Yeah right.
I tried for a few minutes and gave up. I am going to make my 20yo Nephew try while I video it. Maybe I will upload the video for comedic value.
Yeah, they definitely loosen everything up before they shoot their videos, but it should give you the general idea.

Be sure to post up your video. It should be a hoot. I know my wife laughed good and hard when I pulled the shifter **** off my D2 for the first time and whacked myself in the forehead with it...

Old 06-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by dcarr1971
I'm not sure I remember anything special about moving this part...it definitely wasn't as tough as the ****. Be gentle as there are wires to be disconnected from the underside of the indicator housing...

IIRC, If you look of the CDL shifter installation video by Lucky8 LLC I think he shows the removal of these parts. (BTW, Justin is a.k.a.- Fivespddisco on here, YouTube, and other Rover forums.)
Thanks for the suggestion, found the video, watched it,....yes, she made it look easier than it is,.....but she did give me the confidence to just go out in the garage and pull firmly on it and it came away.........10 years worth of spilled Coca Cola under there and the rubber mat was pretty nasty as well. Now all clean and happy.....(well, most of it anyway)

BC

Old 06-10-2011, 05:20 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least you only found coffee. I already peeked under the indicator housing and I see Toothpicks, Bobby pins, pennies and coffee. It was a nasty hag who previously owned my truck and I have no idea how the lady even managed to get that crap in there. I plan on soaking my rubber mat in some oxyclean solution to remove the funk.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ricrellim
At least you only found coffee. I already peeked under the indicator housing and I see Toothpicks, Bobby pins, pennies and coffee. It was a nasty hag who previously owned my truck and I have no idea how the lady even managed to get that crap in there. I plan on soaking my rubber mat in some oxyclean solution to remove the funk.
found about a dollar in (cola covered) change also and a phillips drive bit......hmmmmm

I cleaned the rubber mat in the sink for about 5 minutes with a scrub brush,...then let it dry out......sprayed a bit of the Duplicolor Bumper restorer I just used on my fender flares on it when it dryed......looks new now.

Quick Reply: How to remove gear selector knob and gear indicator