Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to: upgrade stock alpine stereo

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 10:02 PM
Mudding
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Default How to: upgrade stock alpine stereo

I upgraded my headunit today, thought I'd summarize everything I learned - had to use multiple sources. This is my first time doing something like this, not that difficult.

The initial issue of what 1 DIN headunit to pick was overwhelming, I found an article on wirecutter which picked a fairly affordable pioneer unit. I didn't want CD, just bluetooth/aux in/usb. Everything combined cost $100, cheaper than the grom bluetooth unit, with more features.

wirecutter article: The Best Bluetooth Car Stereo Receiver | The Wirecutter

I got the recommended Pioneer MVH-X380BT for $60 on ebay.

There were two options for wiring harness - metra 70-1758 or metra 70-1786. The difference is the metra 70-1758 doesnt have the 4 RCAs for the speakers (left/right, front/back). Unfortunately my headunit did not have the 4 RCA outs.

Metra 70-1758 (note using this harness swap the yellow and red wires, I should've bought this one. Simply match colors, except yellow and red which are swapped)

Metra 70-1786 (using this harness I had to cut the RCAs and split them into positive and negative, no need to swap yellow and red wires with this harness)

I crimped the wires from the metra harness to the harness that came with my headunit. Used a $1 crimper from dollar tree hehe.

Amazon crimps: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Other information that I found useful:
Our land rover discovery 2 wiring harness diagram
2003-2004 Land Rover Discovery with Alpine Wiring Information

Standard stereo wire colors:

Removing the stock alpine stereo I used hanging folders ($7 at staples)

Also requires a 1/2 DIN cover to block the bottom half of our 1.5 DIN stereo hole:
https://www.amazon.com/Metra-89-9400...=metra+89-9400

I've only used it for an hour or so but the sound quality is excellent, and the bluetooth connectivity is great. I haven't tried the bluetooth mic for phone calls yet, nor the USB. Also, I did not need an antenna adapter, the large FM/AM antenna fit right into the headunit, noticeably better FM sound quality as well.

Thanks

Last edited by huggi; 12-22-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Nice write up. Did you use an adapter to retain factory steering wheel controls or just say the hell with it. My next step after the head gaskets and line-x roof is upgrading my stereo. I'm a big Memphis car audio fan and will be using them

Old 12-22-2016, 10:42 PM
Pro Wrench

Also do u have the premium ice (Harmon Larson or Phillips) or just the standard stock set up

Old 12-22-2016, 10:51 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
Nice write up. Did you use an adapter to retain factory steering wheel controls or just say the hell with it. My next step after the head gaskets and line-x roof is upgrading my stereo. I'm a big Memphis car audio fan and will be using them
I don't use the steering wheel control so I didn't bother, but there is an adapter

PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Adapter Connects your car's steering wheel audio controls to select aftermarket car stereos at Crutchfield.com

Old 12-22-2016, 10:54 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
Also do u have the premium ice (Harmon Larson or Phillips) or just the standard stock set up
Mines an SE, with little tweeters in the pillars sans harmon kardon. Meaning alpine unit with amp. There are three teirs, alpine without amp (no tweeters or cd changer), alpine with amp + CD changer (tweeters), and harmon kardon (says harmon kardon on the speakers). I haven't seen phillips before.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:11 PM
Pro Wrench

Well I know when u search for the replacement subs, a lot are Phillips so I assumed there was a Phillips system. I have the premium Harmon Kardon with everything except nav. I was curious BC I miss having the functionality of an aftermarket with my phone hook up so I can stream music or listen to my iPod. I have been debating on sending it off and adding the aux jack to the stock radio but I'll probably do somewhat like you did. I have one in my work car that has USB, Bluetooth and pandora and no CD player BC honestly in this day in age, who buys cds anymore. I will try to keep the steering wheel controls. I saw you took some screen shots from sonic electronix. Love those guys. Way better than Crutchfield in my book on price and service. Have bought a lot of stuff from them over the years. Was disappointed when they stopped carrying Memphis speakers though

Old 12-27-2016, 07:35 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 confusion

Hey guys

I have an 03 with the alpine system and the 6 disc changer. I am trying to install this pioneer headunit. I ordered from crutchfield, they sent me the metra 70-1786 and the scosche SLC4. So I thought I had it hooked up correctly but I am not getting any sound out of the speakers? I've got power but no sound? Do I need the SLC4? I do not care about the steering wheel controls. Any ideas would be great! Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by huggi
I upgraded my headunit today, thought I'd summarize everything I learned - had to use multiple sources. This is my first time doing something like this, not that difficult.

The initial issue of what 1 DIN headunit to pick was overwhelming, I found an article on wirecutter which picked a fairly affordable pioneer unit. I didn't want CD, just bluetooth/aux in/usb. Everything combined cost $100, cheaper than the grom bluetooth unit, with more features.

wirecutter article: The Best Bluetooth Car Stereo Receiver The Wirecutter

I got the recommended Pioneer MVH-X380BT for $60 on ebay.

There were two options for wiring harness - metra 70-1758 or metra 70-1786. The difference is the metra 70-1758 doesnt have the 4 RCAs for the speakers (left/right, front/back). Unfortunately my headunit did not have the 4 RCA outs.

Metra 70-1758 (note using this harness swap the yellow and red wires, I should've bought this one. Simply match colors, except yellow and red which are swapped)

Metra 70-1786 (using this harness I had to cut the RCAs and split them into positive and negative, no need to swap yellow and red wires with this harness)

I crimped the wires from the metra harness to the harness that came with my headunit. Used a $1 crimper from dollar tree hehe.

Amazon crimps: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Other information that I found useful:
Our land rover discovery 2 wiring harness diagram
2003-2004 Land Rover Discovery with Alpine Wiring Information

Standard stereo wire colors:

Removing the stock alpine stereo I used hanging folders ($7 at staples)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf_3K6z1how

Also requires a 1/2 DIN cover to block the bottom half of our 1.5 DIN stereo hole:
https://www.amazon.com/Metra-89-9400...=metra+89-9400

I've only used it for an hour or so but the sound quality is excellent, and the bluetooth connectivity is great. I haven't tried the bluetooth mic for phone calls yet, nor the USB. Also, I did not need an antenna adapter, the large FM/AM antenna fit right into the headunit, noticeably better FM sound quality as well.

Thanks

Old 12-27-2016, 09:05 PM
Mudding

I think in your case you don't need the scosche part, you can plug the rca cable into the new headunit. You have 6 RCA outputs from the headunit, I imagine 2 are for subwoofers and the other 4 are Front Left/Front Right/Back Left/Back Right speakers.

The following users liked this post:
blcp86 (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 11:19 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huggi

Would I just not have anything plugged into the two subwoofer inputs on the back of the unit?

Old 12-28-2016, 12:05 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by blcp86
Huggi

Would I just not have anything plugged into the two subwoofer inputs on the back of the unit?
Yep nothing out of the 2 subwoofer RCAs.

Quick Reply: How to: upgrade stock alpine stereo