Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How are y'all dealing with the rotting plastic on your truck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 06:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Default How are y'all dealing with the rotting plastic on your truck?

Pretty much every piece of exterior plastic on my my truck (besides the bumpers and door handles) is cracked. I pulled the fender trim a couple of years back with no plans to replace them, but both of the trim pieces on the front A pillars have fallen off recently, the long plastic piece under the windshield wipers is split in half, the roof trim is cracked in multiple places and getting worse, the plastic housing over the license plate on the on the rear gate is split, and so far one of the C pillar trim pieces has broken off.

I will cost hundreds to replace all this, which might be worth it if I want to keep driving the truck.

But I was wondering what others are doing to address these issues.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Funny you mentioned this. I've been repairing my plastic bits with JB Weld's Plastic Bonder and their Plastic Weld. Having excellent results! I repaired my cowl plastic which took 3 days 'cause it was in about a dozen pieces. Bought a small sheet of 1/8" ABS from Peebay to reinforce cracks and make pieces that are missing. I scuff about a 1" area along the broke edges on the back side and 1/4" along the viewable side. Cleaned the area with acetone (will lightly dissolve ABS plastic) and make sure you can fit the pieces and jig them so they will be aligned. I used spring clamps with a lil' wax on the clamp so they don't stick. Mix and goop on with more on the back side for reinforcement. Once cured sand visible side buildup with 80 then 220 grit sand paper to prep for 3 coats of Dupli Color "Rocker Chip Guard" over piece, gives it a nice mild texture that hides repairs and looks good. I'm gonn'a use it to coat the plastic console trim. Repaired my A pillar covers, dash gauge cover, C pillar mounts, rear door headliner cover, etc....
For a more professional job look into these guys, they know plastic and plastic repair and check out their videos! I'll prob buy their kit when I mod the console for a 2 DIN head unit.
Fix kit from Polyvance

Last edited by whiterabbit; 01-26-2020 at 07:47 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by whiterabbit:
dr. mordo (01-30-2020), No Doubt (01-26-2020), shanechevelle (01-28-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 08:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

I just removed all the body plastic such as fender flares, rockers, mud flaps, drip trays

The following users liked this post:
dr. mordo (01-30-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 08:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by whiterabbit
Funny you mentioned this. I've been repairing my plastic bits with JB Weld's Plastic Bonder and their Plastic Weld. Having excellent results! I repaired my cowl plastic which took 3 days 'cause it was in about a dozen pieces. Bought a small sheet of 1/8" ABS from Peebay to reinforce cracks and make pieces that are missing. I scuff about a 1" area along the broke edges on the back side and 1/4" along the viewable side. Cleaned the area with acetone (will lightly dissolve ABS plastic) and make sure you can fit the pieces and jig them so they will be aligned. I used spring clamps with a lil' wax on the clamp so they don't stick. Mix and goop on with more on the back side for reinforcement. Once cured sand visible side buildup with 80 then 220 grit sand paper to prep for 3 coats of Dupli Color "Rocker Chip Guard" over piece, gives it a nice mild texture that hides repairs and looks good. I'm gonn'a use it to coat the plastic console trim. Repaired my A pillar covers, dash gauge cover, C pillar mounts, rear door headliner cover, etc....
For a more professional job look into these guys, they know plastic and plastic repair and check out their videos! I'll prob buy their kit when I mod the console for a 2 DIN head unit.
Fix kit from Polyvance
Post of the day!

Well done.

dr. mordo (01-30-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 08:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

There is a seller that makes fiberglass replacements for a growing number of parts. For the underhood plastic coolant hoses I found some soft aluminum to use.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sandman614:
dr. mordo (01-30-2020), whiterabbit (01-26-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 01:24 AM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

We all know how you feel! I've been slowly repairing the broken plastic over the last few years. Most everything can be dealt with in some way, either replacement or repair, and for a fair enough price.

For me:

- I trimmed the bottom of the original front bumper about 5 years ago when it cracked, and when more cracked, I put on a new custom steel bumper from Casey: His website: http://www.caseyscustom.com/products.html. Very pleased.
- I purchased new fiberglass front A pillars and windshield cowl from rexypow. I bought from him on eBay, but don't see his listings anymore. His website: https://www.rexypowparts.com/. The guy is out of Malaysia and makes replacement parts from fiberglass, best quality and price.
- Replaced the cracked rear step with a new one from Amazon.
- Pulled the fender flares years ago and never put them back on.

The biggest issue that I'm dealing with now is the rain gutter trim. It looks terrible on my 2001. There are a few places that sell them, but the prices are insane. I'm not paying $600 USD for a set that doesn't even include replacement of all the pieces! I've searched here and haven't seen a great answer to that problem. Anyone have an idea? I'm trying to talk rexypow into making some replacement parts...

Last edited by briancbev; 01-27-2020 at 02:04 AM.
dr. mordo (01-30-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 01:29 AM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
I just removed all the body plastic such as fender flares, rockers, mud flaps, drip trays
Do you have a pic you can share with the drip trays removed?

NewToTheTwo (01-27-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 07:30 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

My 2000 D2 has some drip trim pieces broken and missing. I was thinking of just tossing them all in the trash before paying the crazy price for replacements. I've been looking into the marine trim world for some sort of J or C shaped vinyl/rubber trim. I think it looks good without the gutter trim but the front corners also have that lil' bit that ties into the A pillar trim. I was just about to push the button on those Fglass A pillar pieces on peebay, they look good. He'd make a fortune if he molds up some heavy duty lower cowl pieces or a center dash console with a double DIN radio area location too!

Marine edge trim...

Last edited by whiterabbit; 01-27-2020 at 07:50 AM. Reason: pic added
dr. mordo (01-30-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 08:18 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by whiterabbit
He'd make a fortune if he molds up some heavy duty lower cowl pieces or a center dash console with a double DIN radio area location too!
I messaged RexyPow to try making the double DIN radio center consoles (I sent him pictures of other people's ideas) but he said there wouldn't be a market for it.
Oh well...

The following 2 users liked this post by JUKE179r:
dr. mordo (01-30-2020), whiterabbit (01-28-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 08:49 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by briancbev
Do you have a pic you can share with the drip trays removed?

Sorry, I meant the drip trays under the engine, not the drip trays on the exterior

dr. mordo (01-30-2020)

Quick Reply: How are y'all dealing with the rotting plastic on your truck?