Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hub Assembly(or maybe disassembly)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hub Assembly(or maybe disassembly)

Gonna take the wheel hubs apart to service the bearings and got two questions:

1: I've read to not re-use the locking ring with the bending lock tab. Big no-no?

2: I've seen special(big) hub nut wrenches. Are they nessasary? Will an adjustable wrench work?

Thanks in advanced

Old 12-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

The locking ring probably should not be reused.....but I reused mine and no problems since..it all depends on how well things come apart and how badly you damage the tabs when removing it.

As for the "socket" if you have time to wait for it to arrive it wouldn't be a bad purchase, cuz there's nothing better than the right tools. When you go to take this apart, the nut MAY be loose enough that no special tools will be needed to remove it, BUT you need to torque the nut properly ( see the rave manual) when you re-install it so having a socket that fits sure would be handy .

Old 12-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I typically reuse the lock washer 2-3 times. At least when it's been a new one I've installed. I've found that some people are really sloppy bending them and tear them up. I'll carefully get it started removing it by using a clod chisel to get it away from the side of the hub nut. The using a flat punch I'll bend it the rest of the way, enough to get the nut off. I'll then flatten it with a hammer and anvil and inspect for sharp edges. When I reinstall it I'll bend it in a different place, using a large screwdriver or prybar to get it started bending, then finish with a flat punch.