Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I goofed up the door lock actuator install, what did I do wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 07:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts
Default I goofed up the door lock actuator install, what did I do wrong?

So I replaced the driver’s door lock actuator and bought a new key that I programmed with the Nanocom and all has been perfect. Well, I goofed something up on the final install. When the boss wanted to take the Disco one day, I forgot to take the Key Fob key off my key ring (we only have one key fob- the other is a “normal” key with no remote) and the non remote key won’t open the door.

I obviously didn’t connect something, but I can’t figure out what. The key goes in and turns the tumblers, but it is not engaging the door lock- either physically, or electrically.

I know I did it wrong somehow, because that key used to work- the little motor was all that was wasted in the original actuator.

What did I miss? This is kind of a big deal because if something fails, we’re locked out good. Thanks!

Old 12-16-2022, 08:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I think I figured out what I goofed up via this video:

Do I have to disassemble the whole door, or can I just pull out the door handle and get that one little arm in there that I obviously missed? For some reason I think I remember reading about this at some point, but just can’t remember.

Old 12-17-2022, 10:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

You can do it from the outside - you may want to either make a rod out of a nail or buy the aftermarket one, the factory rods are notorious for breaking.

The following users liked this post:
longtallsally (12-20-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 07:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 890 Likes on 642 Posts

It's perilous to challenge Extinct on this forum, but while it may be possible to remove the door handle without removing the interior door panel, I don't see how you can get the cross-shaped end of the pin seated back into its position in the actuator with the panel in place.

As for the replacement pin, I did that with a 20d nail way back in '08, long before the Abran's aftermarket version came to market.

https://discoweb.org/index.php?threa...7/#post-526166

Old 12-19-2022, 08:52 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 440 Likes on 300 Posts

curious, so when you removed the old lock mechanism, did you notice the actuating rod? or was it already broken?

If the rod is broken, there is an aftermarket version made out of stainless...don;t know if it still available...

and PS: I would say pull the door card (watch a vid, job takes about 5 min) and get good access to your mechanism..and spray it all with WD40 and grease, and also check the condition of the inside handle cable...and the window track mechanism

Old 12-19-2022, 01:57 PM
Drifting
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Replacing that connecting pin seems like it should treated as a one-time PM item, given that it's certain to fail and when it does, could result in a lock out if you're just using the key.

I did watch a few YT videos... one guy tried to use JB weld to repair the OE rod. Oh the regrets.

The usual suspects all seem to have the stainless replacement pin in stock. Will add it to my next order.

Old 12-20-2022, 01:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by mln01
It's perilous to challenge Extinct on this forum, but while it may be possible to remove the door handle without removing the interior door panel, I don't see how you can get the cross-shaped end of the pin seated back into its position in the actuator with the panel in place.

As for the replacement pin, I did that with a 20d nail way back in '08, long before the Abran's aftermarket version came to market.

https://discoweb.org/index.php?threa...7/#post-526166
Thanks for this, and the more I think about it, I do recall reading in the past about that part breaking- just never experienced it myself. I may order this part preemptively just to have it on hand should things goof up when I start monkeying with it.

Originally Posted by XRAD
curious, so when you removed the old lock mechanism, did you notice the actuating rod? or was it already broken?

If the rod is broken, there is an aftermarket version made out of stainless...don;t know if it still available...

and PS: I would say pull the door card (watch a vid, job takes about 5 min) and get good access to your mechanism..and spray it all with WD40 and grease, and also check the condition of the inside handle cable...and the window track mechanism
I have to be honest and feel like a bit of an idiot here. I’ve done door lock actuators on all the other doors in my other D2s, but totally forgot about this nuance for the drivers door. With that in mind, previously it worked perfectly with just the key, so I’m pretty certain it’s just dangling there as I just plain forgot to do it.

So I definitely know all the aspects of doing door lock actuators (actually was going to try to do the simple motor replacement, but chickened out) and have had the door cards off a few times. I was just trying to avoid taking the door card off for the time being as we are to get a pretty healthy storm here in the next couple days, and I’ve not ordered spare clips for the ones that will invariably break this time around.

But also as a back up for the part itself, I might order that rod from the link above just to have one on hand as we all know the prudence of having spare parts laying around for a D2.

Old 12-27-2022, 01:44 PM
Mudding
Received 148 Likes on 84 Posts

Where does one purchase this replacement pin?

Old 12-27-2022, 03:53 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 283 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by YETIX
Where does one purchase this replacement pin?
https://carrs4x4.com/products/land-r...etime-warranty

But out of stock at the moment

Old 12-27-2022, 04:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 890 Likes on 642 Posts

AB and I think Rovers North sells them too.

Although one of those pins would undoubtedly outlast the rest of the truck, and although I appreciate Abran coming up with an off-the-shelf replacement part that is so much better than the original, it's really not difficult to make one from a 20d nail.

Quick Reply: I goofed up the door lock actuator install, what did I do wrong?