Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I had my power steering pump replaced last week.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I had my power steering pump replaced last week.

I got back from a 300 mile trip on labor day weekend and noticed a good sized puddle of power steering fluid under my truck. I didn't have time to wrench on it so I had AAA tow it to the shop and they put in a new (re-manf.) pump since the old one was leaking fluid from around the shaft. Now that I got it back i'm noticing the steering doesn't feel right. The power assist isn't smooth/even. Do you think I just need to bleed the system or is there a good chance the new pump is junk?

Also, could I have messed up the power steering by having the steering box not adjusted right?

Old 09-10-2014, 04:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It could be a few things.

-Need to be bled

-They over torqued the 3 bolts holding the PS pump making it more difficult to turn

-Bad pump

Last edited by Jared9220; 09-10-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:17 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared9220
It could be a few things.

-Need to be bled

-They over torqued the 3 bolts holding the PS pump making it more difficult to turn

-Bad pump

What do you mean by the steering box wasn't adjusted right? Are you talking about it being centered?
x1. many reman steering boxes are often junk but it could be other causes.

It may be the box adjustment is overtightened and it will cause it to lock up and appear overly heavy on the steering. Try reset the adjustment, it's next to the bleed nipple and is a nut with either a separate allen head or torx screw adjuster in the centre. It should be done up until there is slight resistance then backed off about 1/6th of a turn. Make sure when you tighten the locknut that the centre adjuster doesn't move and tighten up as well.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:09 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if they replaced the pump they had no reason to touch the the worm gear in the steering box, a lot and a mean a lot of re-manufactured steering boxes are junk. i dont know if everyone sources them from the same place or not but for some reason the remamufatured LR steering boxes sux

Old 09-11-2014, 08:30 AM
Mudding

It wasn't the steering box that was replaced, it was the pump. I was just wondering if having the gear lash too tight could have overworked the pump. I guess I will re-check the steering box adjustment since its easy to check. If I had to guess its the pump or just air in the system causing the problem since it was the only thing that was changed.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:51 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you should not have to touch the steering box adjustment, steering boxes a very similar to ring and pinion gears in your differentials, once they are setup right they are pretty much good.
adjusting it to tight or too loose can cost you a box, adjusting a steering box is a last ditch effort before you replace.
jmho

Old 09-11-2014, 02:24 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
you should not have to touch the steering box adjustment, steering boxes a very similar to ring and pinion gears in your differentials, once they are setup right they are pretty much good.
adjusting it to tight or too loose can cost you a box, adjusting a steering box is a last ditch effort before you replace.
jmho
Granted, if you have them screwed up too tight or too slack they cause problems but I adjust mine every few years with never an issue. Checkout RAVE page 57-17 where it tells you how to adjust.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:01 AM
Mudding

The problem has seemed to go away. I re-checked my steering box adjustment and it seemed fine. If I had to guess it was probably just some air that worked its way out on its own.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:37 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What was the labor cost?

I have to replace mine 04 disco hse. I already have a pump. Need fluid still and any other parts after teardown and inspection. So wondering what your cost was so if I run into too many issues then I have an idea of current price on a shop install.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:19 AM
Mudding

I paid ~$250 wo/ core charge for a refurb pump from NAPA, and $164 for 2 hours of work at a local garage. It would have been cheaper if I did the work myself but it was still pretty reasonable.

Quick Reply: I had my power steering pump replaced last week.