Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm trying to learn... (Sleeping area)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 12:06 AM
Mudding
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Default I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm trying to learn... (Sleeping area)

So part 1, cut first and measure after hahahaha
Leave me alone. Lol

I've never done a drawer system before but I'm so eager to learn.

1. Build a drawer x kitchen slides. Tired of using milk crates.
2. A sleeping platform which will have a flap and a hinge when the seats are down.

I'm trying to keep my seats so when my little one goes with us, she can sit in the back... But when folded, the 2nd platform folds into the top of the rear seats.

This platform is really when I'm traveling alone and want to sleep inside my truck versus bringing my roof top tent and popping it up when I want to get a nap at a parking lot...

This is still and idea, cut some wood just to see how this all unfolds...

If y'all got ideas, photos, videos of people sleeping platform in the D2 with the rear seats, send em my way

Old 05-21-2020, 12:45 AM
Mudding

Just to visualize what I'm trying to do with the seat down flat (not standing).

I can build a whole flat bed but I want to see what I can get away by having the seats in the installed.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:32 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Although l removed both rear seats, my set up was similar to what you are doing...folded out to cover rear footwell area and rested on front center console. I'm 6'4", so the front seats were moved forward and angled forward to accommodate my height. My biggest regret, with this set up, was building it it the entire width. It gets really old, trying to get dressed laying down. Because l removed both seats, my set up is actually lower than what you can do...if you leave a seat...so your head room will be compromised even more. Me, when l build my next sleeping platform...it will be on one side only, leaving an area where you can sit. If you are leaving one seat, build the sleeping platform on the opposite side and have footwell area behind seat.

The following 3 users liked this post by The Deputy:
GoRoll (05-21-2020), JUKE179r (05-21-2020), whowa004 (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 04:36 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by The Deputy

Although l removed both rear seats, my set up was similar to what you are doing...folded out to cover rear footwell area and rested on front center console. I'm 6'4", so the front seats were moved forward and angled forward to accommodate my height. My biggest regret, with this set up, was building it it the entire width. It gets really old, trying to get dressed laying down. Because l removed both seats, my set up is actually lower than what you can do...if you leave a seat...so your head room will be compromised even more. Me, when l build my next sleeping platform...it will be on one side only, leaving an area where you can sit. If you are leaving one seat, build the sleeping platform on the opposite side and have footwell area behind seat.
I'm 5'10, but 6'11" if girls ask me.

the height of the drawer with the back seat down will be 13" and when I sit up, My head hits the ceiling a bit. This is why I'm doing all this little measuring to see what works. This is cheap set up, I'm 100% sure I will redo this again with a pro drawer maker.

Just debating and see what work for you guys that have done it before us...

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (06-01-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 10:19 AM
Received 1,151 Likes on 796 Posts

I built mine as a very basic platform to sit in the area taken up by the 60% seat,I was at about 7 inches high. But if you are going full width you will need either drawers or hatches to access the storage underneath.

Old 05-21-2020, 10:46 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

This outta be good

Old 05-21-2020, 11:47 AM

Here is mine pre RTT : I have a sliding piece at the front that extended the sleeping area. At 5' 11' myself I had to move the passenger seat forward to have enough room. What I found without building a complete platform & drawer system it just did not work for 4+ days in the back country. It was doable as solo, but as I am older I want simpler,which is why I moved to a small RTT this spring.

Old 05-21-2020, 11:55 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
Here is mine pre RTT : I have a sliding piece at the front that extended the sleeping area. At 5' 11' myself I had to move the passenger seat forward to have enough room. What I found without building a complete platform & drawer system it just did not work for 4+ days in the back country. It was doable as solo, but as I am older I want simpler,which is why I moved to a small RTT this spring.

I have a RTT already. Which I'll still be using, it's those parking lot and by myself traveling... As much as I love my RTT, it gets tons of eyes when I pop it up via public parking lot. I just want to sleep/nap in peace. 👀

do you have both rear seats in the back?

Old 05-21-2020, 12:06 PM

@GoRoll I pulled the 60% seat, I usually put it back in the winter. Parking lots would be tough,but that is not an issue here in BC. Other than Vancouver, and Vancouver Island you can camp on any government land so in most cases 20 minutes to 1/2 hour an you are set. The island is largely leased by Logging companies and thanks to anti logging morons destroying equipment they have gated and close off access.

The thing is a good drawer system/sleeping area can add a lot of weight. How often do you have sleep in parking lots?

The following users liked this post:
GoRoll (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 12:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

I pulled my 60% seat as well and made a platform with storage containers underneath. I'm 6'3" so I like the headroom of the lower deck but theres room to spare.
The platform piece behind the passenger seat is separate and removed when not in use so the seat goes back to normal.
The rest of the deck stays in all of the time as I have no kids, just a dog whos bed fits perfectly

The following 3 users liked this post by NewToTheTwo:
GoRoll (05-21-2020), The Deputy (06-01-2020), whowa004 (05-21-2020)

Quick Reply: I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm trying to learn... (Sleeping area)