Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just picked up an 04 Disco ! Key advise needed please

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 08:00 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just picked up an 04 Disco ! Key advise needed please

I posted here yesterday for the first time, after spending the w/end reading everyones advise on buying a Discovery. I was deciding between the 2003 with low miles and the 2004 with 67Kmiles. I am now the new proud owner of my first 2004 Discovery and v. excited about it !!

Anyway my question today is regards to Keys. I was dissapointed driving away from the BMW perowned lot to discover that I only have 1 key and the 1 key I got with it is NOT the remote ket just the basic ignition key! First off I need to get another key made (just to have a spare) does it have an immobiliser chip inside the key, or can I just go to ACE hardware and get one cut? Once I fgure that out I was contemplating getting a decent aftermarket alarm system installed (which would probably cost the same $$ as going the the dealer and order 2 new remote keys!)
Any suggestions ...?

Old 10-22-2008, 08:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I just picked up an 04 Disco ! Key advise needed please

I would call the dealer back and ask for the remote keys. If they don't have them, they should at least get you one free of charge.

almost forgot to welcome you in the Rover world, and congrats are in order. Now we want pictures.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:30 AM
Rock Crawling

Check on ebay for the key blanks for your trk, you can buy them pretty cheap (cheaper than dealer) there but i think I have read where only the dealer can program the remotes and that is like $100. Maybe some others will chime in to confirm.

Good choice with the 04 BTW, congrats

Old 10-22-2008, 08:34 AM
Overlanding

Thanks for the warm welcome Darover ! I will post pics later this evening. It was a BMW dealer and I negociated well below their advertised price for it, they did the major service for me put on 2 new tires, cleaned up the interior (there were quite a few scuff marks and a small tear in the pass seat, they fixed all that!) Anyways I got it paying $9000 bills ALL IN. So asking for a new remote might be a case of closing the barn door after the horse has bolted! who knows....
Any other suggestions about getting a new key made ? is there an immobiliser in it?

Old 10-22-2008, 08:56 AM
Rock Crawling

$9000?! wow, feel good about the deal, I paid little more than double thatin Jan.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Overlanding

Thanks ! I guess these have taken a big hit in price over the last year

Old 10-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Sounds like a good buy. I would reconsider doing an aftermarket alarm though. The alarm on Disco's are intertwined into the radio and a few other things, and removing it and installing a new one will be a pain in the ***, and probably cause a few electrical problems. 04's are a great year though, I think the best for the DII. Hope you love it

Old 10-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your key does not have a chip in it. ACE hardware will not have a LR key, you will either need to buy the key off of e-bay or any Rover parts supplier, as well as the remote.
And yes only a LR dealer can program it and it will cost you $100, soooo, how badly do you want the remote?
As for the aftermarket alarm, haszlett is right, it will screw things up so bad it will cost you million's to get it right.
Removing the factory alarm is like removing Windows from your PC, it just wont work.
www.atlanticbritish.com, www.roverconnection.com.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:02 AM
4wd Low

When I first bought my 2004 I only had one key and wanted another. Checked ebay and other places but ended up at the dealer. Key with programing was $180.00. They did vaccum the car for me!

Old 10-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Email vespajim@verizon.net. I got two key blanks from him and he even offered to cut them from a photo of the original key. He couldn't cut them for me as my key was well worn but he said he can do it most of the time. I just took mine to a local lock smith and she cut them for less than $5. Overall I didn't spend more than $15 and jim's service was excellent. Hope this helps!!

Quick Reply: I just picked up an 04 Disco ! Key advise needed please