Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I messed up. Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 01:14 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I messed up. Help Please!

I have a stock 2000 discoII. I went offroading today and got stuck. The right side of the hood was submerged and i started to leak some water in on the passenger side and the back passenger side with the center carpets. My front plastic bumper cover also was completely destroyed in the process when i got pulled out. All day i have been laying down baking soda on the carpets and using a shop vac to suck out all the water i can suck out. Am i doing this correctly? I want to keep this carpet in here and it seems as if there is water under the carpet somewhere? Sorry I am so new to this. I have had my landy for a few years now and I have never gotten stuck before and it just really made me nervous.
Here are my questions:
1) How should i properly take care of this carpet issue? It is simply mud water.
2) What can i Do with this plastic bumper issue? Can i just keep it with the plastic covering off? Can I just install a brush guard? Is anybody selling a bumper I can get ahold of? Is it legal for me to drive around with the front plastic cover off? I know this is sounding like im a 5 year old asking about addition, but that is how nervous I am because i absolutely love my disco. Thanks so much.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:53 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 04-20-2011, 07:43 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

the only way your going to dry the truck out is the remove the carpet the clean a vacuum the floor pans, otherwise it is just going to rough the floor out. Once water get under the carpet you really cant suck it back threw (i know all those carpet commercial show it, but thats no real life). as for a bumper cover the local pick & pull is probably the cheapest. if not ebay had trucks being parted every day, see what one of those guy want for one.
As far as driving without cover that kind of go from state to state, where i am you are not required to have a bumper but you can not have any brackets or shape projection sticking out.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:14 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're doing this entirely yourself, then I have to say x2 for what drowssap is saying...pulling the carpets is going to be the best way to dry the interior. I'd pull the carpets if this was my truck.

That said, you can get the water out of the carpet, it just isn't easy or something you really want to do yourself since it will probably cost you a lot more by the time you pay a shop or buy the fans yourself...

Most detail shops at auto auctions cover the center stack/console (i.e.- stereo and climate controls, etc...), then literally hose the interiors down before cleaning the carpets, seats, and the rest of the interiors up for sale. (This isn't necessarily the best detailing job you'll see, but it is efficient given that they usually have to clean a lot of vehicles in a relatively short period of time.) The detail shops get the cars (mostly) dried out in time for sale without pulling the carpets, but having spent a couple years as an auction sales rep, I have to admit to having sat in more than one or two that still had a damp seat...

Like I said above, the best way to do this is going to be to pull the carpets like drowssap said, but there are other ways to do it. They just aren't as thorough...

Good Luck.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:25 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

where are you located? you have a D2 correct? i have a D1 bumper I can sell you it will bolt up to the frame just fine. let me know if you are interested.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:12 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
where are you located? you have a D2 correct? i have a D1 bumper I can sell you it will bolt up to the frame just fine. let me know if you are interested.
i live in jacksonville florida. im a bit ways away..

anybody else have a bumper for sale?

Old 04-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check CL and call British4x4 at 904-998-9626.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:53 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea, got to pull the rug out, since you have to do this, what I would do before putting it back in it to get the inside Ryno coated, or even use a do it your self bed liner, hell even add some drain plugs front and back that you can open up through your carpet, I did this to my jeep and it worked great, prob will do this to my Disco To.As far as the bumper I have my cover foff, yea its ugly but it came w/ the truck, spray that down w/ bed liner, when you are ready buy a after market bumper, look on E-bay, yea ARB are great but they are little over $1,000.00, there is a few around for $400.00 or so, just keep your eyes open.Good luck

Old 04-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bradgold
I have a stock 2000 discoII. I went offroading today and got stuck. The right side of the hood was submerged and i started to leak some water in on the passenger side and the back passenger side with the center carpets. My front plastic bumper cover also was completely destroyed in the process when i got pulled out. All day i have been laying down baking soda on the carpets and using a shop vac to suck out all the water i can suck out. Am i doing this correctly? I want to keep this carpet in here and it seems as if there is water under the carpet somewhere? Sorry I am so new to this. I have had my landy for a few years now and I have never gotten stuck before and it just really made me nervous.
Here are my questions:
1) How should i properly take care of this carpet issue? It is simply mud water.
2) What can i Do with this plastic bumper issue? Can i just keep it with the plastic covering off? Can I just install a brush guard? Is anybody selling a bumper I can get ahold of? Is it legal for me to drive around with the front plastic cover off? I know this is sounding like im a 5 year old asking about addition, but that is how nervous I am because i absolutely love my disco. Thanks so much.
If your looking for an upgrade and want a bumper that will take the abuse give us a call. I'm sure we can help you with something that you will not have to worry about the next time you go offroad.

Denny 706.248.2758

Last edited by HLC Fab; 04-22-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened to me last summer, took 10 hours of recovery in the middle of the night.....bit scary haha. Lost the whole bumper, fog lights and all. Screwed up my headlight alignment real bad, so that is something you should check on. I have been driving with basically a shard of a bumper for almost a year (removed the dangly bits) and pass cops all the time without any issues. Since you mentioned passenger side I don't think the washer tank will be an issue. I bent mine in and right out of the hose....didn't know till I tried to fill and it everything poured on the ground. Couldn't hurt to give everything under there a good look. If you have the money you should go for some steel. I just ordered an ARB winch bumper from Rusty's for $1050 shipped. Good luck.

Quick Reply: I messed up. Help Please!