Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I want a disco 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 09:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Land Rover... either you love them or hate them... and I'm on my 3rd one!

Old 03-11-2019, 11:31 AM
Mudding
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

It all sounds like doomsday, but really its not. They are just needy. If you have mechanical and electrical skills and aren't afraid to tackle a job then they are awesome vehicles. I started with one that had set for over a year and needed a lot of love, but now I let anyone hop in and go anywhere. Will it throw a code ocaissionally-you bet! But it will also take you there and back in horrible conditions. Actually once you understand their systems, they are not that complicated. It aint no Ford or Chebby, but perhaps, just perhaps, better.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

I'm guessing by some of the other comments that I'm not the only one that thinks this isnt a legit post

Old 03-11-2019, 01:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

I paid $2,800 in Omaha for a near perfect disco with a new motor with 10k miles on it. The land rover dealer owned it since new and his wife drove it. All reciepts were included. I would bet it is the nicest stock disco anybody on this board has ever seen.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:43 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by zuke
I paid $2,800 in Omaha for a near perfect disco with a new motor with 10k miles on it. The land rover dealer owned it since new and his wife drove it. All reciepts were included. I would bet it is the nicest stock disco anybody on this board has ever seen.

who in their right mind would sell a nice disco with a new motor for $2800 must be stupid or stupid rich if in fact a new motor is in. Could have saved the 5 k plus on the motor and scrapped it for $700

Old 03-11-2019, 01:44 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

or maybe its the stealership giving back to the community after years of ripping off

The following users liked this post:
ivbyiv (06-05-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 01:59 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by redwhitekat

who in their right mind would sell a nice disco with a new motor for $2800 must be stupid or stupid rich if in fact a new motor is in. Could have saved the 5 k plus on the motor and scrapped it for $700
Around here - SC - you'd pay that much for a nice Disco that needs a motor........

Old 03-11-2019, 02:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

They bluebook for about $1800. Thats why I am always confused by people wanting to buy a new turner motor. Makes zero sense.

Old 03-11-2019, 02:17 PM
Rock Crawling

They bluebook for about $1800. Thats why I am always confused by people wanting to buy a new turner motor. Makes zero sense.
I find this to be a matter of perspective - If I found a $1000 Disco in otherwise GREAT condition but needed a motor - why not?
I'm not going to find another SUV remotely similar to a Disco for any less money.
You invest in the motor and have a wonderful SUV more capable than most newer ones or pay the same amount for a newer model of something thats not a Disco 2.

Or pay similar or "more" for a Land Cruiser that basically looks like every other soccer mom SUV on the road.

Just a matter of opinion and perspective IMO - I'd rather rebuild or replace my motor than buy something else. The end result will be better in the Disco.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:05 PM
Mudding
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I recently sold a 96 Land Cruiser. If you haven't priced them recently, do a quick check on ebay. Then look at Lexus 450's-essentially the same rig. Ebay gives you realistic values because you are getting the vehicle in front of a world wide market. What it brings is what its worth. The old saying "it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay" rings true. I understand that in abc part of the country you can buy them for abc money, but if you put it on Ebay you can find out what it is truly worth on the big market. Bring a Trailer is the same way. Put a rusted out D2 on there and you will see what its worth. Put a clean good running one on there and a lot of you seem offended when it brings 5 figures. Why? Demand drives price. The fewer nice ones there are the more they will bring. And the trend is that modified is outpacing stock in all sectors of the used / classic / collector car market. So it is expected that a nice clean lifter rover is going to bring some jack. Not sure why anyone would be upset that a vehicle we all like brings good money. Unless it takes them beyond what you are willing to pay.....I played with jeeps hard for 25 years and then everyone jumped in and a piece of crap I used to buy at $500 is now worth $2500, so yes, I'm out of that market. Guns are the same way. The internet has opened up everyone's eyes to what is popular (demand) and now everyone is an expert on what it is worth. Bargains are pretty much just a lucky find nowadays, and typically the seller either doesn't know what they have or are disconnected from reality or the internet. Seen any $2500 66-77 Broncos out there lately?

Quick Reply: I think I want a disco 2