Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think my T-case just popped... or my transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my T-case just popped... or my transmission

Okay so I just recently "Freed" the stuck diff lock shifter with PB Blaster. It now moves as it should, at least the lever does.

So After testing it, I returned the lever to the open position, blipped the throttle a couple times to free the case while driving another block, & did a U-turn Everything was going fine, then POP! Followed by no more forward movement. There must have been binding, because the front passenger corner dropped when it popped.

It never took any of my Jeeps more than a block to pop back to open full time 4WD... but I did just service my T-case & I think the PO used ATF fluid instead of GL-5, so it might not have been working right

The thing still goes in reverse just fine, which seems odd to me. Can the T-case be broken in only forward movement, or could it be in the transmission?

Thought I'd check before I order the T-case. Thanks for a quick reply!

Old 04-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Should unlock in a few feet going backwards.
Sounds like you blew a front axle or cv joint.
Try putting the tranny in drive, have someone look under the truck and see if one of your drive shafts are spinning.
Get back to me.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Mudding

Yeah.. Sounds like you snapped an axle up front.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

X3....

Old 04-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Mudding

I'm home alone for a few more hours, & I've backed in into my inclined driveway, so I had to do a modified check. Here's what I did:

chocked the back wheel, started the Disco, put it in drive, looked at the shafts (kept my head safely clear of the wheels) & there was no movement. I reached in & pushed the accelerator with my hand, & there wasn't even a twitch. I can feel & hear the transmission engage when shifting from N to D, add that to what you all think & I'm sure it's not the transmission.

I should add that it doesn't move forward with the diff lock engaged either... assuming that it actually engages when I move the lever, or maybe it's permanently engaged?

UPDATE: alright, so I've put the thing up on Jack stands, one axle at a time. when I do this I do get slow movement in both drive shafts & all four wheels. At idle they don't move, but when the accelerator is pressed the all move, but slowly. All 4 wheels seem to rotate at approximately the same slow speed.

Last edited by Disco Den; 04-06-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

What position is the t-case shifter in right now?
Back and to the right?

Old 04-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Mudding

Yes, Back & to the right... the (presumably) open high position.

I should have stated it doesn't move forward with the diff lock engaged either.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Mudding

hmmm i would venture a guess to say that you broke one of the shafts inside of the tranni. I would venture a second guess to say that the reason that it will move in reverse is because when the tranni is in reverse it engages before the drive clutch packs and gears then meets back up with the output shaft. Meaning that it is broke somewhere in the middle of the tranni. I could however be completely wrong but that is what i would start looking at. Mike, does this sound reasonable?

Old 04-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Mudding

UPDATE: alright, so I've put the thing up on Jack stands, one axle at a time. when I do this I do get slow movement in both drive shafts & all four wheels. At idle they don't move, but when the accelerator is pressed the all move, but slowly. All 4 wheels seem to rotate at approximately the same slow speed.

Last edited by Disco Den; 04-06-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So it works fine in reverse? Have you tried putting it in low and driving forward?

Quick Reply: I think my T-case just popped... or my transmission