Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think that my transmission died.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 10:19 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with mike, get a new torque converter while you have tranny out.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you've never used this site, http://www.car-part.com/, it will save alot of time on the phone calling around.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Are you 100% sure it is the transmission?
We had a guy on here just a few weeks ago with a similar problem and it was his t-case.
He drained it and chunks of metal came out.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I mis-read Mike's post, a NEW Torque Converter? Not just the one that comes with the replacement tranny, (if needed)? I am quickly getting into the world of the unknown for me. What will a NEW TC run? Phil

I just checked on Atlantic British and British Pacific and neither site had a torque converter for sale seperate from the transmission. Mike?

Last edited by ljdiscovery; 05-24-2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: added info
Old 05-24-2010, 12:14 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can try using the torque converter out of a used transmission, but how do you know its good? Replacing it would be cheap insurance from having to pull the transmission out again. Keep looking, I'm sure somebody sells them.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle

An update on the transmission and a question. I have had a little time to try to make a more detailed investigation of what is going on with my DI 1999 transmission.
I don't think that it is the transfer case. It shifts into 4 wheel low and 4 wheel high without any issues. In 4 wheel low, the tranny does what it does in 4 wheel high but slower. The tranny seems to be shifting through the gears but it is noisy, sounds like it is in 4 wheel low eventhough it is 4 wheel high. The fluid is clean and does not smell burnt, fluid level is right on the money. There are no metal shavings in the bottom of the pan. To clarify what happened when I was driving on Sunday, I was driving up a slight upgrade at about 25 miles per hour and the tranny all of a sudden got very noisy, like it was in 4 wheel low.

the truck will go about 35 miles per hour but the tranny is noisy, gear like sounds, no clunking or chunking, it doesn't sound like there is anything broken, it just sounds strained and rapped out.

Any ideas? I found a used tranny out of a 1997 with 115k miles. Installed it will run $600. However, I am not too thrilled with the miles, given how old these trucks are, I am not sure I am going to find too many with fewer miles. Did get another estimate for one with 95k miles installed for $1000. Both come with 60-day warranties. I just can't figure out what may be going on with my transmission and what adjustments or repairs can be made. Thanks Phil

1999 DI 105k miles

(for the good news, the 2000 DII I picked up a couple of weeks ago just gets better and better. Everything works, drives great, other than a moderate head gasket leak. Best $1000 I have spent in a long time. Geez, my wife spends that much on a good day at Costco.......)

Old 05-27-2010, 12:30 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would not buy another tranny until I was sure the one you have is indeed bad. Especially if the DII for a gtand is running good. Take your time and figure out what the real problem is.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, another weekend and a little more investigation. Saturday was supposed to be spentdropping the tranny pan on the DI and completing the 60k miles service on the new-to-me 2000. After a quick trip to Autozone, Kragen and Home Depot I get home to find that bees had invaded my chimney, after two more trips to Home Depot (nothing like Memorial Weekend Beach Traffic!) and several hours unsuccessfully fighting the bees, the DI pan drop got delayed. I did take it out and tried to figure out exactly what was up. Like I mentioned, the fluid is clean, smells good and there is no apparent "stuff" in the fluid. Once warmed up, it just seems like the tranny is slipping. The noise is coming from the tranny and is just "overrevving" the gearing. It takes about 5 minutes or so to warm up and it generally functions properly, although under stress, ie stepping on the accelerator to pass, the tranny seems to slip. Any thoughts now. I really don't want to swap the tranny. Most local tranny shops salivate on getting fresh meat in for a tranny rebuild. They are quoting $1500 to $3500 for a rebuild! I know that sometimes it can just be a servo or something relatively simple, but transmissions are completely foreign to me. I was going to try a quart of the Lucas Tranny Treatment, but wanted to try to figure out what is wrong with it before trying the bandaid approach. Thanks in advance. Phil

Old 06-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Drain the trans fluid and replace it with new, see what happens.
This will take 30 min and cost about $15.
If it still acts up than add the Lucas tranny crap.
Sounds to me like your clutches are slipping.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Spike, what is the fix for a slipping clutch? Again, I am clueless when it comes to transmissions issues, other than being able to tell when there is slippage. (truck mileage is currently 105k. FYI - Transmission fluid changed (two drain and fills at 95k and again at 103k miles) Until a week ago, no slippage issues, just slow to engage when cold. After letting things warm up, the transmission functioned properly. Only last weekend did the slipping start in earnest. Thanks again. Phil

Quick Reply: I think that my transmission died.......