Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I thought discos love water?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:39 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I thought discos love water?

I wanted to get the salt off my truck so I was pressure washing the undercarriage and decided to rinse off the engine. I was careful not to spray the fuse box but I didn't think about the truck still being warm when I rinsed it and the water being pretty cold. When a started the truck up and put it in drive the truck had this very slight shudder while it was idling. Al I decided to drive it to let the car dry off a bit and when I drove off the shuddering stopped. I put it in reverse to check it out and it shuddered a bit while I backed it up. I drove it an hour later, now it will not shudder driving forward or while it is in reverse but when u stop the car and go from drive to reverse it does the little shudder, it's more of a slightly off idle really. Please tell me I didn't ruin the truck.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 01 did that also before I changed the plug wire and plugs. Good news is that even before I changed the wires, the next day the truck had smoothed out.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Something got wet.
You must always let the engine cool at least 15 min before washing it and never use the high pressure to do so.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:32 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

every connector under my hood has been douched in di-electric grease. i also clean and coat everything in wd-40. all the plastic lids and aluminum. i off road the crap outta my truck and nothing sticks to my engine compartment

my logic is that the body can stay filthy all it wants. but when it comes time to crank on things under the hood. the cleaner the better. less filth and crap that will get in your eyes and all over you.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:13 PM
Overlanding

Is your CEL/SES light on?

Open your air box, check your air filter to see if it got wet.
Check your MAF for any moisture.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:04 AM
Mudding
Default Followup

No shudder, no lights on, no water in the air intake on the way into the office this morning, which is a relief. Thanks for the advice, I should have known better than to spray cold water on a hot engine.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:20 AM
Banned

I bet your plug wires are old and they were arching a bit when wet, but are fine now that they are dry. People drive through cold water with hot engines all the time, it's not just that.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:23 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If you have the factory grey plug wires, that is your problem, other then that D2's do love water unlike D1's. I power scrub my engine, top and bottom after every trail run or hard snow.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Drifting

I noticed under the hood there isn't much protection on the electronics from water. I was under the impression these trucks came ready to tackle some water right off the lot. All the connectors and fuse boxes in my truck seem exposed. Even more so than the electronics in my other cars.

Is this normal or am I missing some shields? I bought this used and it's my first one.

I'm afraid to hose the motor off because of the amount of electrical exposures under the hood. Should I hold off until I can “douche” with grease or will it be ok? I don’t plan on doing any water crossings but I’d like to hose the motor off so when I work on it I don’t have trash under the hood getting in things it shouldn’t.

I hosed the motor off on my Probe GT years ago and it barely made it out of the car wash. Not sure I want to go through that again.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Banned

You should not have any problems if your plug wires are good.
Don't whack your electronics and electric components directly with the pressure washer and you will not have any problems.

Quick Reply: I thought discos love water?