Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I wanna LandRover! :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 09:43 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I wanna LandRover! :)

Hi there everyone,

I am very seriously looking at purchasing a 1991 Landrover Discovery HL as I have recently found one which is in very good condition and I would like some advice from people in the know Im in Australia by the way and I have never owned a landrover before or even looked at one.

Details from advert:

1991 LANDROVER DISCOVERY HL
270000 km's
5 speed Manual
8 cylinder U Multi-point injected 3.5L
ARB Deluxe winch mount bullbar
full length aluminimum roofrack 6x driving light
2"king springs all new wheels swivel hub bearings & brake pads.
18mth old transfer case/rebuilt gearbox($4200)
new vaccum advance unit.15x7 alloys + 30x9.5x15 A/T tyres.
Recent fuel injection service($480)
all new tail shaft uni's

Im curious about a number of things:

1:Fuel economy whats it like around town? It's not intended as a daily driver but still don't want something using crazy amounts of fuel.
2:Is an LPG conversion an option and would it cost an arm and a leg?
3:Comfort? Ive been told they are like a truck.
4:Is 270000 too many k's and would I be looking at a re-build soon if so what would I be up for roughly?
5:Are they an expensive car to maintain? parts etc?
6:Im not sure what most of the stuff above means so Id love to hear from someone who knows a lot about discoverys
7:Is there anything that I should be aware of with the particular model? known issues?
8:Is $5000AU a good price for this baby? should I be concerned there is something wrong with it?
9:Is my missus going to hate driving it? hehe

Any help would be greatly appreciated sorry for the long lsit of questions but Im very new and keen to buy a land rover.

Old 02-23-2006, 05:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: I wanna LandRover! :)

Hello and welcome
well to help you out if I can here's somethings about discos

1. the fuel mileage of discos is not very good as many will say on this forum the best you may see is about 15 mpg town and 21 mpg highway with easy driving and proper keep up.
2. I'm not to famailiar with the LPG I think it might would be costly.
3. Discos due ride rough it is a hardcore heavy duty 4x4 with a heavy extra strong frame light weight yet strong alloy/steel panels and it rides on solid axles all that combined will make for a roughride but that lets you know you have a truck and not some candy *** poser wanna-be SUV.
4.that doesn't seem to high however i only know it miles not kilos sorry.
5.Rovers in general are expensive to maintain espcially getting parts from the dealer(cough) stealership what many will tell you is to learn or to do alot of things yourself and save lots of $$$ good news is rovers are easy to repair once you get to know them.
6. the stuff mentioned about are mods and stock. Bullbar is a heavy duty bumper,5 speed manual is shift stick, the springs are what the truck is bolted on to the swivel hub bearings are what i call ball joints. brake pad is what is use to stop the vehicle. the trasfer case is what will enable you to switch from high range to low range gearbox is what is used to change the gears,driving park,neutral you know stuff like that.
7. things you should be aware of with disco1's is that they leak tiny amounts of oil it's a perk. sometimes the sensors will go out or light up the dash often it's also a perk. they will lean a tad bit when you turn corners. some have been know to blow gaskets but not often and that goes with the proper keepup. they will treat you how you treat them so treat em well.
8.I don't au money how much would that be in american dollars then maybe i could back to ya on that.
9.I don't missus is gonna hate driving it.from what I know lots of women love to drive rovers my mother being one of them and shes on her second discovery a 2000. As long as you don't spend more time with the rover than missus I think she will love the truck.

Old 02-25-2006, 06:03 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

disco12 has got it right.
The only thing I can see is that is mpg, mine is
12mpg city and 16 hwy 96 Disco 4.0 auto E 245/75-16 heavy,
ARB bumper and winch.
The LPG would be a U.K. thing maybe someone from there will help.
To help with the ride you can get Old Man Emu springs.

Old 02-26-2006, 05:47 AM
Rock Crawling

16 mpg hwy to me is still like pretty good considering the mods you have on your disco but I do agree with you i guess i said that because a friend of mines has a disco1 stock and his was or maybe still is getting that mileage by the way what color is your disco LANDZU.

Old 02-26-2006, 06:44 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is white.
You can see it in the Trip Section under (Four Wheeling in Seattle)
It is the only Disco in the pic's.