Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want a Discovery....

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008 | 06:20 PM
|
6th Gear
Default I want a Discovery....

But I don't know exactly what years I'm looking for. I want the traditional Discovery, not the new body style. I think they changed in 2005? I want the newer headlights, sorta stacked, seperate High and Low beams? What problems should I look for, or be prepared for? I've been told that Land Rovers aren't that reliable, but that was from other manufacturer salesmen, so I take it with a grain of salt. Any options that I should avoid? Any options I should seek out? Thank You folks in advance.

Zach

Old 03-03-2008 | 06:27 PM
Team Owner
Default RE: I want a Discovery....

Man I am sick of hearing that, Land Rovers are just as reliable as any other car on the road. They do require more attention than a Honda, but will last just as long.
Here is a good read to get you familerized with the brand and what to look for, what is your budget?
http://www.robisonservice.com/servic...er_advice1.asp

Old 03-03-2008 | 06:36 PM
4wd Low

My wife and I are thinking of selling our 03 Disco SE7. Upgrades include pioneer AV1C navigation/DVD with ipod interface and 6disc changer. Color is black over tan with 77K miles-bought with 36K miles. I just replaced front drive shaft and upgraded to greasable u-joints (common problem) also changed out the original serpentine belt tensioner. I have used only Mobile 1 fully synthetic every 3K miles and it is due for transfer case and tranny juice change soon. Let me know if you'd be interested. We are looking to sell to go green (hybrid). I could not let it go for less than 18K. We are located in Birmingham, AL area.

Lance

Old 03-03-2008 | 06:36 PM
TReK

From what you described you need to look at 03's and 04's. They have the updated headlights. 2004 is by far the best year, but also the most expensive. SO if money is not an issuse look for a good 04. 2003's have some problems and dont have CDL (center diff lock) and the 2004 models dont have many problems and they have CDL. It is also the last year of the Discovery II.

Old 03-03-2008 | 06:39 PM
|
6th Gear

I'll take a look at that. I'm looking at spending up to $18,000, depending on mileage and options. My wife's Jeep lease is up in October, so I'm starting my homework now. I've got a friend in Florida who buys cars at auction, so I'd like to know what to tell him to keep his eyes open for. I've had six Jeep's, from CJs and Wranglers to Grand Cherokees. I'm not impresed with what they have to offer, and we both like the look of the Discovery, and I know it is built to work, not just look good.

Old 03-03-2008 | 06:40 PM
Mudding

Get a disco 1 from 94-98 best gen yet !

Old 03-03-2008 | 06:45 PM
TReK

ORIGINAL: lebrult

We are looking to sell to go green (hybrid).

Lance

Lance, I know there is alot of hype about hybrids but not all of it is true. If you really love your disco I would keep it. It will last longer and have more personal value. But what ever floats your boat. On a side note here are a few facts for you to consider:

[ul][*]
Hybrid vehicles cost considerably more than conventional vehicles.
[*]
Hybrid vehicles get worse fuel mileage on the open highway because of the added weight of the battery bank and the lack of any energy regeneration.
[*]
Hybrid vehicles have a high maintenance cost. Battery replacement is a major expense.
[*]
Hybrid vehicles generally have very small gasoline or diesel engines. Therefore, the air-conditioning system will place a high load on the tiny engine that will reduce the gas mileage drastically.
[*]
Hybrid vehicle manufactures have tended to exaggerate the fuel economy. Many owners are disappointed when they cannot obtain the fuel economy as advertised or promised by the salesmen or as shown on the manufacturer's window sticker.
[/ul]There are actually alot of negative environmental effects that hybrids will have in the future (with battery acid and stuff like that) if you really want to go "green" i would advise you to wait until we advance a but more with automotive technology, the hybrid is just a rough draft... its a start though! Anyways, just wanted to put that word out for you, but as for me I have been against the false marketing of hybrids since the beginning. Good luck with whatever you do!

Old 03-03-2008 | 07:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

If you like the look of the headlights go with an '04, but don't make that your main deciding point. It is possible to do headlight conversions on earlier models but it costs a lot, especially if you can't do the labor part of it. The set of headlights alone are about $700 new. Search this site for 3 amigos, front drive shaft replacement/u-joint, head gaskets, and coolant leaks. These are the most common issues to look out for. Also, if you don't have thorough service records prepare to at least do DiscoMike's 60K service (you can search that too).

Old 03-03-2008 | 08:52 PM
Camel Trophy

Keep your eyes open and you can find an 04 for your price range. They are coming down everyday, as gas goes up. I would suggest holding out for an 04, as they are more desireable with the CDL. Good for resale and driving. Sorry 03 guys, just my opinion...

Old 03-05-2008 | 05:22 PM
|
6th Gear

Most of the auctions allow you to start the vehicle, but not drive it. Anything to visually check? I looked at DiscoMike's 60K service. I can dothe workmyself. Any idea what the cost of the 60K supplies runs? How often are you guys doing the SeaFoam inductions? Do the Iridium plugs make a big difference? I remember the Splitfire plugs hoopla, then got no benefit when I installed them. What are the upgrades considered "must do"? Premium fuel seems to be a must. I appreciate the help guys.

Quick Reply: I want a Discovery....