Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I WISH my radiator was the problem...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I WISH my radiator was the problem...

Because then I'd know what was wrong and how to fix it! I'm dealing with a very bad coolant leak, I can see coolant at a steady drip from the back left side of the engine if you are facing it. There is a very steady drip coming exactly down on the cross bar under the rear of the engine. According to RAVE, no hoses besides the heater hoses are around that area, so the fix won't be as easy as I'd hoped. What else can go wrong back there? Some gasket in the manifold? I herd there is a lower IM gasket, I know when I bought the car, the dealer replaced an IM gasket to correct a coolant leak, so is there another gasket I don't' know about?

What are the chances of it being a freeze plug? Unless they rotted out I don't know how one would fail...the engine wasn't in freezing temperatures when this leak started, but is now. The car currently is un-drivable because it will leak out all of its coolant in about a day.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:41 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That is the right side of your engine. If I were to guess I would say head gasket or valley gasket leak

Old 01-10-2010, 09:01 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Head gaskets time.
Sorry.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Three Wheeling

Yup...I just did an extensive search and...milkshake in the oil

And it wasn't the right side as I thought, turns out that there was enough coolant to drip on both sides. After I powerwashed the undercarriage, I could clearly see coolant leaking from on the block on the back left side down onto the drivers side Cat, to the crossbar, and into my conveniently placed bucket.

She hasn't been running quite right, little vibrations in the engine, strange sounds, now I know why. Yet, I still really love this car, so I'm ready for the head gaskets!

Attached Thumbnails I WISH my radiator was the problem...-0110001046.jpg  

Last edited by brianb883; 01-10-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

using the oil fill cap as an indicator isnt usually a valid test, better to pull dipstick if you dont drive the truck far enough then water vapors will collect on the cap and it will look like a coolant leak.
Also you can pull the spark plugs and inspect the tips , any that are very clean or have rusted tips indicate coolant.
Also you can get a Block checker at NAPA for 50.00 and test the coolant for hydrocarbons with the engine running

Old 01-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's definitely something in the air. There must have been a dozen regulars in the past month, self included, who've had to replace their head gaskets.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

With the milk shake, you need to STOP driving it today, with no exception or you'll start washing your bearing and cause serious wear.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Three Wheeling

As of today the car won't be driven, the only place it will be driven is to a garage, which is about 14 miles on the highway. I've got extra 50/50 mix in the back, as well as have a scangauge to monitor the engine temps on this journey. Its never gone above 200 degrees F since I've had it, usually hovers between 198 and 200. There they will be able to confirm if it is a head gasket or not.

I pulled the dipstick out to check the level which is right in the middle between full and add more. The oil on the dip looks okay, it looks like 1000 mile oil should as far as I could tell.

Last edited by brianb883; 01-10-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK so you dont have coolant mixing with the oil thats a good sign

Old 01-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Three Wheeling

How should I confirm whether or not its the head gasket? If its not that what else could it be? Back drivers (left) side of the engine, looks to be coming from back of the engine near the coil pack area, I can see it dripping down just not where its coming from.

Quick Reply: I WISH my radiator was the problem...