Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If a tire shop did this to your wheel ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 12:37 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,166 Likes on 626 Posts
Default If a tire shop did this to your wheel ...

Would you go back ?

Kind of annoyed this wheel had zero chips or damage. I had to go back 5 (YES 5) times to balance this right front tire, it kept throwing an inside clip on weight.

On time #5, this happened. Before this, the wheel had no damage.

I know it's a 20 yr old truck but... come on... I understand a little maybe around the lugs, but this has chips up the spoke

So would you call them or just live with it?

Zero of this before the last balance

2 chips way up / down on the spokes (top center and on the 4pm spoke)

Old 08-31-2020, 10:29 AM
Received 1,151 Likes on 796 Posts

It would tick me off that I had to go back 5 times let alone damaging my rim. Not sure you would get any satisfaction though.

Old 08-31-2020, 11:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Clip on weight? Why not the stickies? Is this a rim balance issue or a crap tire that's hard to balance.... or just weights flying off issue?
what were they doing that chipped them up so much? Were they throwing it face down on the shop floor and hammering weights to the inner lip... that shouldn't happen but I don't know what recourse you have... depends on management. I'd be upset on any wheel that wasn't strictly off road and already beat... fwiw, last time at discount they warned me that they might scrape some paint on the lip of my wheel (before they attempted anything) which was nice of them to note... i told them not to worry as they were off road wheels only and I wouldn't complain.... they did a pretty good job and i only needed minor touch up when I got home.

Old 08-31-2020, 01:11 PM
Pro Wrench

Yep they have some Hunter road force HD elite balancer or whatever. ... it's the new one that tells them exactly where to put weigh, (including how far back in the wheel, and uses combination of stickies and inside clamp ons.). It's great for big offroading/truck tires.

At least the tires are super smooth now.

Something about the clamp on weights just kept flying off as soon as I'd get on the highway. We laughed about it ... but the chips to the wheel are just careless.

I agree I'll get no satisfaction out of it. Just annoyed mostly.

Old 08-31-2020, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

That is NOTHING vs what my local tire shop did to my perfectly painted/restored D1 Castor wheels....... They totally destroyed the lips with nicks, and they scratched the center and spokes of the rims. The tires had pretty much seized onto the rim, and they had to use some serious force to get them off. That double lip on all LR rims makes a lot of tire shops absolutely HATE you. I like knowing that during a blow out my tire is going to stay attached to the rim, however it makes any trip to the tire shop a total PITA. Not to mention I'm very serious on them using my socket on my lug nuts, and to break them loose by hand!!!!! Back when I was younger I could have cared less, but after having a flat back in the day and only finding out then the tire shop ruined my lug nuts and I had to buy new ones and it took much longer to get the tire off = I'd rather be a bit of a d!ck and save my perfectly good lug nuts.

That's why I absolutely love the older RRC solid lug nuts. Sure they aren't as pretty as the capped ones, but I don't have to worry about em getting messed up. For a while you could buy D2/P38 solid lug nuts on Ebay for like 40.00, but then the reseller couldn't get anymore and I haven't really seen any since.

The following users liked this post:
nashvegas (09-01-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,239 Posts

I had a set of those on my D2, both my LR3's have them and the 110 is running RRC lug nuts. I don't deal with the capped nuts

Old 09-01-2020, 01:05 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 433 Likes on 274 Posts

I'd go back and talk to them about what it might look like for them to repair. Who cares if it's an old truck. For all they know, this is an $80K Defender. Laypeople are often clueless.

Old 09-19-2020, 10:54 AM
Pro Wrench

Resolution: I emailed back/forth with manager of the tire shop. They had a local shop refinish the wheel at no cost to me (other than driving the wheel down there and picking it up afterwards). Looks great. Never hurts to ask.

The following 3 users liked this post by nashvegas:
Banzai Jimmy (09-19-2020), jastutte (09-19-2020), TexasLandmark (09-21-2020)
Old 09-19-2020, 10:55 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Brandon318
I'd go back and talk to them about what it might look like for them to repair. Who cares if it's an old truck. For all they know, this is an $80K Defender. Laypeople are often clueless.
"Laypeople". that made me laugh.

Old 09-19-2020, 07:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah, always talk to these folks before and after. I also love the shops that deal with vintage cars. These guys usually get it.

The following users liked this post:
nashvegas (09-20-2020)

Quick Reply: If a tire shop did this to your wheel ...