Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition key doesn't lock door

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignition key doesn't lock door

Just bought a Disco II. Did not come with the key fob, just a cut key. The Disco was repossessed, I'm assuming, that's why.

The key I have operates the ignition but does not lock the driver's door. Is it supposed to be like this or there should be a key for the door as well? I would assume that one key works for both...

What are my options? Buy a key fob and have the dealer cut and program it?

Thanks!

Old 09-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

The key fob and blank can be purchased on eBay. The blank can be cut at any hardware store. The Fob can only be programmed at the dealer. I think it is $100-$125

Last edited by bosshogt; 09-19-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Overlanding

Thanks,

What about the key not operating the door? Shouldn't the current key work for the door as well?

I really don't care about the fob, but I would like to be able to lock the driver's door.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Since you got it reposessed and no key Fob. I'm guessing a locksmith installed a new ignition lock. So that is the reason the door has a different key. If you get the key Fob the you can unlock it remotely and you would be set. Also you could have locksmith make a key for the door lock too. That could be a backup if you got the Fob

Old 09-20-2010, 07:56 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

If you buy a FOB, make sure it comes with a BAR code or you will not be able to program it.
As for cutting the new key for the door locks, get the original key code number from Rover, should be just what you need to do the door key without tearing it all apart.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

X2 on Mike's post, without the bar code, you might have a problem programming the fob. I have tried to program three without the code. Two worked and one did not. With the code they can do it, without the bar code it is a total crap shoot. I bought my last one fob/key brand new from a guy in Florida, he works out of a dealership. Paid $105, dealer wanted $165. Programming was $75 from Land Rover Miramar in San Diego. The key was then $8 to cut matching to a key, if they cut it using the dealer code, it would have been $35.

As for the door lock, what doesn't work about it? Will it just not open the door or is the door lock broken. Some door locks will break (there is a nail-like pot metal piece that breaks and will then not turn the lock actuator) and the key tumbler will just spin. There is a fix for that.

Best of luck. Phil

Old 09-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Overlanding

The lock is not locking or unlocking... The key turns normally and the drum is in place and doesn't spin out 360 degrees.

From the above suggestions, I think that the ignition lock may have been changed. This was a repo, I'm assuming they just took the car without the keys.

I can't lock the driver's door unless locking from the inside. Then I can't open it and will be locked out of the car.

I really don't care about the fob, I just want to be able to lock the doors. I will probably take it to a locksmith and have him cut me a key.

Another option is to install a aftermarket remote with alarm, but I can still be locked out if the battery is drained for example...

Tough one, but I got this Disco in very good shape and good price so I am willing to deal with these little things

Old 09-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jamanta
The lock is not locking or unlocking... The key turns normally and the drum is in place and doesn't spin out 360 degrees...

...but I got this Disco in very good shape and good price so I am willing to deal with these little things
If the key is turning in the door lock, then the problem isn't likely to be resolved by having a new key cut. You need to take a look inside the door itself, this might not be a tough problem to fix.

Even if you got it for a good price, you'd better make sure the maintenance is up to date. I used to repo cars and can tell you from experience that if they weren't making their car payments the PO probably wasn't doing the required maintenance either...

Old 09-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Try lubing the door lock and latch first.
Stick the straw from a can of silicon spray into the key hole on the door and spray the hell out of it, then work the key in the key hole.
With the door open lube the latch too, as well as the hinges, do this to all the doors, every 6 months.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

check on the price of the having a door key made. YOu can order a new lock assembly and matching key from LR for about $175. It may take as long as 3 weeks to get. It may be cheaper than the cost of a locksmith cutting a new key. Odd they couldn't just match the ignition to the door. Best of luck. Phil

Quick Reply: Ignition key doesn't lock door