Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm getting wet!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 03:27 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm getting wet!

Hey Guys,

OK so the rainy season is here and I'm taking on a lot of water! Whenever parked outside in the rain my headliner fills with water. I can't determine where it's leaking in from (probably a sunroof, but can't tell where). Anyone have any experience finding and stopping the leaks? Can the seals on the sunroofs be replaced?

Thanks!

Jason

(1999 Discovery II)

Last edited by jasonnye; 03-09-2011 at 03:28 PM. Reason: forgot to mention, 1999 Discovery II
Old 03-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ditto, i've gotten my headliner wet before during prolonged highway driving in heavy rain . . . and now that i've moved to seattle i'd also like some help with this.

welcome to the forums by the way!

Old 03-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Likely from by the rain gutters in the front corners. Two of the trucks I looked at when buying had the leak there. Here is a picture I took of one of the trucks with the issue. Does your look like this?
Name:  utf-8BSU1HMDExMjMtMjAxMDEwMjctMTMzMy5qcGc.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  36.6 KB

Old 03-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Overlanding

Here's a link I just came across talking various culprits such as windshield seals, a pillar cracks, clogged tubes etc etc. good luck.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Overlanding
Old 03-09-2011, 03:56 PM
6th Gear

Wow, thanks for the quick replies!

Yes, that is exactly what the top corner of my windshield looks like, Snafu...(I just went out and looked).

I'll check out the link svn posted. If nothing else, I wonder if I could just fill it in with silicone?

J.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonnye

Yes, that is exactly what the top corner of my windshield looks like, Snafu...(I just went out and looked).

I'll check out the link svn posted. If nothing else, I wonder if I could just fill it in with silicone?

J.
Yep, just check out that seal there where the cracks are. The one I bought doesn't leak, so I can't help with a fix, but did study it a bit as one I was about to buy had that. To me, it looked like some silicon could fix it but I'm sure there are many others here that have a fix they have used and tried!

Old 03-27-2011, 08:19 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jasonnye

J.
I just found that mine were cracked on both sides, but was only leaking on the passanger side. I didnt get to take a picture, but it looks quite like the picture above. i used a 5 minute apoxy, and dripped it on, and let it cure. i then took it into the car wash, and from what i can tell, it worked. i believe there was caulk in the corner that was painted over, and dried and cracked. it needs to be sealed to the drain hole, or the water seeps into the head liner. the great thing about the epoxy is it dries clear so you can still see the paint underneath, doesnt get all over like caulk does, and looks good. hopefully this actually worked, and will hold durinig rain as well as it did with the carwash spraying directly on that spot. Anyway, if anyone wants pictures of the after, i can get them for you.