Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm out!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 04:41 PM
Adz
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: I'm out!

ORIGINAL: jutgin
The Avalanche drives like a cadillac.
Anyone who knows anything about anything wouldn't consider that a compliment... we get Caddy's over here these days... can't see the advance over a 1990's Ford Scorpio to be honest, the Scorp didn't handle, wasn't fast, certainly was a long way from the most comfortable car I've driven, nor was it the smoothest ride - about the only thing it did have was a fair bit of lateral grip while cornering... so I guess even that outclasses a, even a modern one, caddy

Old 10-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not bad mouthing anyone or any company, but that's my opinion. Their engineering sucks.
Engineering bought in 1960 from a company that now makes your Avalanche. Your 2003 was re-engineered by the same company that made your little sport trac too... On the Avalanche, your steering column will start popping around corners after 30K guaranteed, and you will loose the plastic intake manifold after 50K.

I have my Rover for stability. It drives like a Rover is made. When I want to perform on the streets, I have my Cadillac. Funny, it drives just like a Cadillac too.....

If you don't like your Rover, be quiet and sell it.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know where over here is but in America "it drives like a cadillac" means its a smooth ride. It's just a saying. Which it is. I already replaced the intermediate steering shaft which was a breeze compared to the problems with the LR. It's funny how you seem upset over my comment. It's my opinion and seems like aquaholic feels the same way about LR. I will not be quiet as you suggest. I believe that's what this forum is about. The good the bad the ugly. It's here. LR has so many issues I can't understand why anyone would want to put up with all of it. And I'msure that your Rover does drive like it was made. Can't wait to sell it, want to buy it?

Old 10-20-2007, 07:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I've heard Avalanches ride nice. It's got a long wheelbase too. Might even get better gas mileage. I don't personally care for the styling, but I'm sure it'll work out well for ya. No doubt, GM has trucks down pat. I like GM vehicles, had great luck with them: have a Cadillac with 230k miles,GMC 1/2 ton with 243k miles, both extremely reliable.Sorry tohear your L/R experience wasn't a great one.I only know a few guys that have L/R and they really love theirs.

Mark G

Old 10-20-2007, 07:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

nope, thanks. 03's are notorious for losing oil pumps......

I have replaced more on my truck than most people, and this was out of necessity, not playing. I have replaced most of the driveline, so it should be close to stock, just as it rolled out. I am planning on an OME lift, but that is another day.

Most owners on here like their rovers, and don't like to hear people bash them. They gripe about the mainenance, but like the truck. You saying they drive poorly and that the engineering sucks tells most on here you think they have no taste and think they don't know what a good ride is.

This forum is for help and positive issues. If you only have negative comments,I was just asking you to take them elsewhere. This forum is not for people getting rid of their truck to gripe about how much they suck. If you have some help for someone, please feel free to post.

I have owned GM products in the past, and currently have an 06 3/4 ton crew cab duramax. Great for work, but not an LR. I paid $2K for the LR and almost $50K for the Chevy. I still would rather drive the LR.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:22 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

LR has so many issues I can't understand why anyone would want to put up with all of it. And I'msure that your Rover does drive like it was made.
I know you guys that are complaining are pretty new here, but most of us love our Rovers. Owning a Land Rover is almost a lifestyle, a hobby, or whatever else you want to call it. Sure they have their problems, but that just something you get used to and deal with. I am not about to bash any other car because people can like whatever they want, and I dont know about you guys but I cant stand to hear people complain about something I like. If you want to complain bring it to a jeep forum or anti-rover place because people here aren't going to accept it.

And I will thrown this out there. What off road capable truck looks better than a rover, more specifically, a disco? I'm just sayin!

Old 10-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Drifting

Honestly when I first posted in response to aquaholic I thought I was helping him by agreeing with him that he should go for the Avalanche. This would seem to fit him better by not being so much maintenance. Not everyone is so enthusiastic about driving a specific brand or look that they are willing to deal with mechanical issues. I do agree that the LR is the best looking off-road vehicle out there. I really wish that they weren't so peculiar with maintenance because I always wanted one! Then I bought one, no I bought 2. Sold the first and selling the second!
I know all you guys know trucks, I'd say most have another daily driver. Play around with the LR. That's definitely not what I need. I just think they should be able to put out a vehicle a little more user friendly. So many people are on here to find a fix for their LR so they can do it themselves because repairs are frequent and costly. Thats why I came here! I have been checking out the Chevy forums, it's like a ghost town. I would keep it if it wasnt a daily driver. If I could have found one for 2K to play with and bought something else to drive that would have been great. Oh well just hope my oil pump doesn't go out before I sell it since the 03's are notorious for that...(just found that out, another on the list)

Old 10-21-2007, 09:14 AM
Adz
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry matey - didn't mean to ruffle your feathers

Cadillac in the UK have a particularly poor reputation as cars, wouldn't know about the dealerships, because we have bends in our roads... example:

That's no river in the photo... it's a road called the Wrynose Pass in the lake district. Drive that at over 5mph in a Cadillac and I'll buy you a case of beer as your 'driving cojones' are going to need to be several sizes bigger than mine.

Straight roads - no argument, they're seriously comfortable - personally I'd still prefer my old '89 XJS V12 in case I find some twisty bits to enjoy and still have a 'magic carpet' ride.

Cheers,

Old 10-21-2007, 03:30 PM
Drifting

What a beautiful picture. I don't think cadillac is nowhere near top of the line here nowadays either. It's still just a saying that will prol stick till the end of time.
Honestly I'd prefer to bike that than to drive any vehicle putting out emmisions just to preserve it. No rumpled feathers here.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:24 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If Land Rovers are so unreliable then why are they the most sought after truck for trekking around the world?
If I am going to circumvent the globe I want a truck that will carry all of my gear, be easy to repair and will not leave me stranded in sub-zero temps or walking in 100+ degree heat.
I have a '97 Disco1 with 170,000 miles on the odometer and it is a daily driver. It is the family car. We drive it everywhere...literaly.
Over the hill and through the woods and across the river and over the snow bank to grandmas house we go, no lie.
Rover's are not for people who dont like to do it yourself, (we do it because we want to, not because we have to) or want to be like lemers and follow the crowd.
My wife and I will go places that a Chevy can only dream of. We can go into the deepest darkest forest and come back covered in mud and drive straight to the best restaruant in town wearing our best cloths and still fit right in.
There is a reason why over 70% of Land Rovers EVER made are still being driven today.
We dont set land speed records on the expressway, we dont drag race others or try to out corner a BMW.
We just stay in the right lane, set the cruise and when we see a trail we hit it and enjoy the beauty that God has created from the climate controled comfort of our leather seats.
Happy motoring to every one, no matter what your tastes may be.

Quick Reply: I'm out!