Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm out of the game.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Check out the Nissan Xterra"

We have had a couple of Nissans Very reliable.
I may look at one but I had a rough night thinking about not having my DII ( I call her Puddles because of the leaks.) I may get tires shocks springs brake lines redo all fluids again and keep it. Wife and grandson wsant me to fix er up and keep it. Maybe I will rethink. Has anybody got over 200,000 on their DII? Hows it holding up?

Old 02-27-2013, 11:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My grand kids love the D2, so I plan on keeping it around as long as possible!

Name:  IMAG0177_zpseed18f20.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  115.4 KB

Name:  ExtendedGrabHandle_zps7bb20420.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  62.9 KB

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 02-27-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:35 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Old 02-28-2013, 04:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am pretty new to Disco II ownership, 3 weeks, so maybe Y'all can enlighten me. Seems everyone either loves or hates these trucks. Are they truly that unreliable? Would you not trust one on a long driving family vacation? If so, what is their appeal to the non- off road driver?
I really like the truck so far, but I have only driven it two days because of the horror stories I have read about catastrophic driveshaft failure. New Lucky8 driveshaft should be here any day now.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:06 AM
Rock Crawling

That video almost makes me want to go out and buy another one. Almost.

Cool.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:10 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dgosh28 IMO they are not unreliable as long as they have been maintained properly. The problem is many used ones are on their third and fourth owners now. From what I have seen very often the second owner buys one due to they don't have the money for a new one, and also don't have the money to maintain it either as they still paid a fairly high price at the time for it. By the time we have bought them they are plagued with tons of small issues which lead or have lead to larger issues, hence all the problems which can add up to be expensive very quickly.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dgosh28
I am pretty new to Disco II ownership, 3 weeks, so maybe Y'all can enlighten me. Seems everyone either loves or hates these trucks. Are they truly that unreliable? Would you not trust one on a long driving family vacation? If so, what is their appeal to the non- off road driver?
I really like the truck so far, but I have only driven it two days because of the horror stories I have read about catastrophic driveshaft failure. New Lucky8 driveshaft should be here any day now.
My previous vehicle was a Jaguar. On the jaguar sites, there were the same horror stories and love hate relationships. My Jaguar was one of the most reliable vehicles I'd owned. Of course, I may have lucked out, but I thoroughly enjoy the comfort, uniqueness, and beauty in these vehicles. For that reason, I will continue to own vehicles that most other people fear. Like mentioned before, if you can find a well taken care of specimen, your chances of a love relationship will greatly improve. I've owned Fords and Chevys that have been my hate relationship due to lack of reliability, so it goes both ways.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dgosh28
In my honest opinion with a DII. Reliability comes from routine maintenance and proper repairs. When you start working on the truck and replacing things you gain faith that the truck will be reliable.

For example if I had just picked up a DII and I had the money to immediately replace the headgaskets, waterpump, and thermostat, then I'd be confident that it would be reliable. Baring that the radiator isn't clogged.

Don't give it a reason to break and it won't break.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:22 AM
Rock Crawling

^^^ Agreed. My Disco is the most reliable thing I've owned, and I take it through some pretty rough places. It will treat you right if you treat it right.

That video makes me proud haha. Love it.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Guys your only kidding your selfs. You can make all the exceptions you want but the fact is land rovers are not known to be reliable. You could say IF you properly maintain them. Yea as in replace everything on the truck. Rubber hoses will fail seals will fail radiators will clog. Lets just say reliability has to have a standard. We all know toyotas and nissans (older) are the standard. These trucks fail in comparison. I have a 1990 Nissan that has not had a SINGLE thing replaced other than a battery. Always starts. Never overheats original EVERYTHING even coolant. All my land rovers have been pampered, every fluid replaced, and all routine maintainence.

Quick Reply: I'm out of the game.