Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm sure this has been asked a gajillion bazillion...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 08:25 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I'm sure this has been asked a gajillion bazillion...

Times, but I'm gonna ask again

I might go with a 2" lift maybe (undecided) will it require any other updates?

Larger and more aggressive Tire on my stock 18s with stock height (presumably I don't lift it at all) I will need tires very soon.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Banned

A 2 inch lift consists of stiffer springs and +2 shocks other than that nothing is needed to do the job.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Winching

So they are essentially not taller? Just stiffer? By +2 shocks I'm assuming you mean +2 inches?

Old 12-22-2012, 09:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go with only OME springs and OME shocks (I bought mine from Expedition Exchange because they have a pretty good price) and don't buy any other parts you won't run into any other issues. OME NitroCharger shocks are factory length, so they don't allow the axle to droop far enough to require brake line extensions and messing with the cross member. It's a pretty straightforward install, not too much to it.

I have 18s too, and unfortunately aggressive tread patterns are a bit difficult to get for them. I went with 265/60R18s (30.5") before I knew I was lifting it, and they work phenomenally well, even without a lift. I went with BF Goodrich Rugged Terrains and they are fantastic, but you can get several other good treads in that size, like Cooper AT3s or Toyo Open Countrys.

You can step up to a 265/65R18 (31.5"), which is almost exactly the same size as the tires most people who have lifts with 16s use, but again, you're stuck with only a few different all terrain treads, but on the plus side this size gives you access to the BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A, one of the better all terrain tires ever made.

If you're going to keep your 18s, the best treads are in the 275/65R18 (32") size. If you make the step to those, then you're looking at the basic all terrains now including the Generall Grabber AT2, as well as some serious treads, like Cooper STTs, Kelly Safari TSRs, the newer Fierce Attitude MTs (I'm seriously considering these), Wrangler DuraTracs and Wrangler MTRs.

So it all depends how aggressive you want it to be. I'd highly recommend the lift though. Chances are your factory springs and shocks are shot and collapsed. It did wonderful things for my rig. The ride is so much better and it handles even nicer than when I bought it. I also love what it did for clearance, and it plain looks better. A complete OME lift with coils, shocks, and steering damper from Expedition Exchange will run you exactly $800 plus shipping. You might be able to find it a little cheaper, but they have great service and from my experience they ship nice and prompt.

Last edited by wreckdiver1321; 12-22-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Banned

Correct and correct the springs are made out of a stronger metal so that it does not squat as much if they are taller its not by much at all and the shocks are able to extend 2 inches longer so you do not loose down travel when wheeling.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by AdrenalinPlease
So they are essentially not taller? Just stiffer? By +2 shocks I'm assuming you mean +2 inches?
This is correct. They are the same length as factory springs, they just have a higher spring rate that holds the car up more. and they won't sag like the factory ones will.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

yes +2 is 2 inches. All a lift really does is give more clearance from the tire and the body, pushes the the wheel well higher. you get more ground clearance by then adding a tire with a higher side wall.

Last edited by aarongregor; 12-22-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Banned

Tread wright makes a real good tire you will want to look at their website also.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Rock Crawling

If you have long travel shocks or moved shock mounts to allow the axle to droop more, you'll have to add extended brake lines (really really easy) and add cross member spacers (even easier).

And unfortunately TreadWright tires don't come in a size that will fit a Disco with an 18 inch wheel.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wreckdiver1321
If you have long travel shocks or moved shock mounts to allow the axle to droop more, you'll have to add extended brake lines (really really easy) and add cross member spacers (even easier).

And unfortunately TreadWright tires don't come in a size that will fit a Disco with an 18 inch wheel.

Thanks for the info
Hope all is well and your having a good close to this year. Happy holidays

Quick Reply: I'm sure this has been asked a gajillion bazillion...