Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impact of battery performance ?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Impact of battery performance ?!?

Guys, I'd like to know from those of you who actually have a real knowledge about the subject, rather than suppositions or peersonal theory.

I recently had to change my car battery, and noticed after doing so, that it was a longtime thing that just slowly died until the day where it actually did.

After changing to a new one, I immediately noticed extremely fast starts, where it starts at the first turn of the engine, rather than 4 or 5, the door lock actuators which have all been changed in the last year and worked fine, nowreact at the speed of lightning at the touch of the remote,and curiously, the vehicle seems to react quicker to the gas pedal.

Now, what is the real impact of a new battery compared to one that is not in perfect working order. Is there anything related to ignition performance ??? or anything else ??? I was, and still am,under the impression that once the vehicle is started, the battery has done its job. But am now wondering if because a battery is not perfect, there's more load on the engine because the alternator cannot rely on the battery to hold its charge.....whatever....you tell me! if you really know, that is.

Darover

Old 01-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Impact of battery performance ?!?

Well as you know I know nothing...so I will not bother you any more with this one.
I will keep reading it to find the real answer though.

bump

Old 01-06-2009, 12:15 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

All power for the vehicle comes from the battery. The alternator only recharges the battery. If the battery is in such a state that it can not be fully recharged by the alternator then performance will suffer. More charge on the battery means more power available to the ignition allowing for a hotter spark and the perceived quicker response to pedal input.

But lie Spike, I don't know anything and this is just my theory based on a lot of shade tree mechanicing and 6 months of electronics training courtesy of the US Air Force.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Your alternator is designed to replace any voltage/amps that the battery expels, nearly instantly. If the alternator is unable to meet the ECU's requirements of 13.6 to 14.4 volys, then your system starts lagging. There are a number of low voltage fault codes as well as the SRS, tranny mode lights that will also show up because of low voltage.
Keep your cables clean and tight, replace your serpentine belt and or tensioner when needed to all the alternator to do it's job.