Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

importing a LR

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 11:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: importing a LR

The 25 year or older rule is the only way to get an import not sold to meet USA safety specs

Old 10-31-2008, 11:47 PM
mh
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, it seems that most of you have the gist down on the importation of motor vehicles in the US. Yes, upon importation of said vehicle, you will have to demonstrate the the vehicles meet US and EPA guidlines on date of manufacture of said vehicle, or the the vehicle has been brough to compliance. That is, if the vehicle is less than 25 years old.

And, if you are non-resident, or NATO officer on orders, you can bring the vehicle in for one year. Also, under certain circumstances, if you are an immigrant, you can bring the vehicle into the US.

By NO MEANS never, put foreign plates on the vehicle, and atempt to import that vehicle into the US. That is fraud, and you would be violating a mess of US Federal Laws. At the least, Customs willseize your vehicle, at the worst,you would be a"guest" at oneof the many federal "resorts" for a few years.

You can import a vehicle for limited off road use, and non-chasis mounted engines, but also, beware of Customs regulations and EPA and DOT rules.

Taxes and duties are another thing. Also, if you buy an improperly imported vehicle, you will not be able to register it in your home state. The CBP 7501 formis the form you need topresent to your local DMV to register the vehicle.

There is also a certified vehicle importer (or similar name, that I can't recall) that can import the vehicle, or help you import the vehicle. That might be something to look into.

I too, would like to put a diesel in my disco, however, violating Customs law, or any Fed law is not worth the joy a diesel could bring to me.

Best rule of thumb, if you want to import a vehicle, call your nearest port of entry and talk to US Customs.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: Disco2Guy

Well be glad you're not in California. I've read some threads on importing at LRRForums, which is 80% CA members and it's even harder in this state than the rest of the country. I've read where an imported vehicle can be legal in other states but still next to impossible to register in this state.
I dont know if you knew this or not, but you cannot even register a car from another state in California. Your emmissions laws are the strictest in the nation. So if I wanted to move from MI to CA I would have to sell my cars and then buy new ones in CA.

I guess I will just have to wait until 2029 before I import my 2004 Land Rover Discovery II with the TD5 and a 5-speed manual transmission. I will just have to keep driving my DI until then.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a 110 in the US on ebay. I guess Land Rover imported 500 110's into the US. The buy it now price is $55,000.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...=p4506.c0.m245

Willie

Old 11-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Team Owner

WOW! That is a beutiful truck. And the sad part Willie, I think it would be cheaper to buy that truck than to try and import one.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

america is a fantastic place to live... unless of course you are an automotive enthusiast... Ford, an american company, offers vehicles in other countries which are arguably superior to what the brand offers in the states... just look around, we just get a bunch of tree huggin, gas sippin, green mobiles because thats what "america" wants... not me, i want a supercharged v10 that gets 2 miles to a gallon and does a million miles an hour...
________
HOW TO ROLL A JOINT

Last edited by discoxd; 08-15-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Winching

Yeah... I hear you on this... I live in Canada and the only thing we get are those little economic cars, you are a bad guy if you drive a truck (WTF !!??!?). It is more expensive to register a car that has an engine bigger than 4.0L. I pay 50$ more for my Landy. If you have a Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7 HEMI it costs you 150$ more. And so on with bigger engines...

Anyway... green cars are the worst scam in the automotive history. Especially hybrid ones. Before they even get out of the factory they polluted more than a gasoline car. And they are so expensive, it takes you 15 years before you repaid the difference in fuel economy. I you want my opinion... buy a diesel.

At least importation is less strict since we don't need to pass emission tests.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Top Gear, the show on BBC in the UK and on BBCamerica, took one of the new bmw M3's and a toyota prius around their track, the prius was to drive as fast as he could and the M3 was only supposed to keep up... at the end of the lap the prius was getting 16mpg and the bmw was getting 19... so a 500 hp sports tourer is more economical than a toyota hybrid...

i love that show...

________
Medical dispensaries

Last edited by discoxd; 08-15-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:23 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, its a good show..wish we got it over here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RkfYCbKpt8

Old 11-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Team Owner

I LOVE Top Gear.
A BMW M3 is NOT more econonomical than a Prius, have you ever driven a Prius? I have. 54 mpg, our average for the week, 1500 miles, was 46 mpg.
At best you are going to get in the high 20's with the M3.
Comparing a Prius to a M3 on a track is like comparing Lance Armstrong and me in a bike race.
For the average person a hybrid Accord/Camry/Highlander/Vue would be a good choice for a daily driver.
If you are in the market for a new car and you are the kind of person who drives a car for no less than 10 years, get a hybrid.
If you buy a new car every 5 years or less then dont get a hybrid, the extra money is not worth it, you wont recup your investment.
It wont be to long and Honda and Toyota will have hybrid mini-vans.
For us, the Volvo station wagon is the daily driver and the Land Rover is the second car.
Americans have always had the notion that bigger is better, big engine, big car, big house, big boat, big debt.
Do more with less.
Unless you are a contractor or a farmer you dont need the big Dodge v-10 1 ton dually, M3's are nice but where in the US can you drive 120mph?
When your sitting in traffic drinking your Starbucks, eating a cookie and talking on your I-Phone which is the more economical choice, a M3 or a Prius?
When your on a twisting winding open road on a beutiful fall day which is the better choice? M3 or Prius?
Now, what do you do 80% of the time, sit in traffic or fly down twisty roads?
Now, what would you rather do, sit in traffic or fly down twisty roads?

Quick Reply: importing a LR