Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

inaccurate gas gauge and P0462

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default inaccurate gas gauge and P0462

I am having a weird issue with my gas gauge, along with a pending P0462 code. It seems to only happen when it is really cold outside. The code has been coming up relatively sporadically, no check engine light on.

My UG shows I have about 7 gallons left in my gas tank, but my gauge reads at empty.

Anyone ever seen this before? I did a search on the forum for this code and didn't come up with anything other than posts which list fault codes.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty sure the fuel level is a direct tie to the gauge meaning it does not report to the bcu/ecu/whatever therefore can not be read by the ultragauge. Even so if it could read it would read the same thing that is being sent to the gauge meaning your gauge would be bad (but again the UG cant read fuel level it just guesses so this isnt the case).

Old 12-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by br0keit
Pretty sure the fuel level is a direct tie to the gauge meaning it does not report to the bcu/ecu/whatever therefore can not be read by the ultragauge. Even so if it could read it would read the same thing that is being sent to the gauge meaning your gauge would be bad (but again the UG cant read fuel level it just guesses so this isnt the case).
So is this a bad sensor in the tank? Why would it only throw the code when it is really cold outside? When it warms up, no code, and gas level seems to be more accurate...

Old 12-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Rock Crawling

If your gauge reads empty and it is not then I'd say something is out of calibration/broken. As I said don't trust the ultra gauge reading since I'm pretty sure there is no fuel reading on the ecu so it is a dummy number/guess.

The code looks to be a "fuel level anomaly" code so chances are your sender is spitting out a number that makes no sense hence probably broken.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well the scanguage is innaccurate, pump fill cutoff pressure sensors are inaccurate, and I thought empty was 5 gallons in the tank reserve... so to only be off 2 gallons? I'd say pretty good?

Old 12-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Winching

Just filled her with gas and the UG was spot on. Tank holds 25.5 according to the manual. UG was reading 7.xx gallons left, and I pumped in about 18 gallons. This morning the gauge was showing empty, but when I went out to lunch and to fill it, it was reading normal again. Not sure what the problem is...

Old 12-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Run a test, go to a station, check you level with your scan gauge then fill up you tank, really full and see what you gauge and scanner say

Old 12-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Run a test, go to a station, check you level with your scan gauge then fill up you tank, really full and see what you gauge and scanner say
Yup, just did that. Once I filled up, gas gauge reads correctly. I'm not sure what does this code mean?

Old 12-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if this applies to a D2, but on my D1 the gas gauge never goes above 3/4, even when full. Then the needle won't move until it actually gets below 3/4 tank. So it's sort of accurate. The Ultragauge has an option for fuel level, but it doesn't work at all. I was told the OBD port has no connection to the fuel sensor in a D1.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:23 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Michael M. Koch
I was told the OBD port has no connection to the fuel sensor in a D1.
This is the same in our D2s. The gas gauge is directly connected and fuel level is not reported to the ecu or anything else. The UG measures gas level by you telling it when you refill (after setting the fuel capacity) and then using your MPG to show fuel consumption.

Quick Reply: inaccurate gas gauge and P0462