Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indications and Warnings of Front Drive Shaft Failure?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 03:41 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Indications and Warnings of Front Drive Shaft Failure?

I have read talk about replacing the front drive shaft on older model Disco II's. Some seem (quite) serious that around 100k - 140k that the front drive shaft be replaced ASAP. But... I have no noticable issues with mine. There is no free (excess) movement in the shaft and the universal joints look to be in great shape.

Are there other indications, or maybe a test that can verify whether a new drive shaft is needed? Do they just fatigue over time and need to be replaced? What is the truth and what is "fake news?"

Old 07-25-2017, 03:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the problem is you may not notice a problem... until you snap your front drive shaft and then destroy your not so cheap transmission.... but mine had absolutely no play in it but had a small chirp sound at highway speed. trust me 200 bucks is a cheap thing to prevent a total loss of your truck

Old 07-25-2017, 03:55 PM
7th Gear

Maa4569,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll start looking for a replacement, but I am still trying to understand why a seemingly good part would just break. There has to be some kind of indication... right?

Old 07-25-2017, 04:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

The 01 l bought, lost it's front drive shaft at 123K, went through trans housing and exhaust y-pipe, and i have no idea if there were taletale signs (though l imagine so). Most here, have heard squeaking or notice a slight vibration...before failure.

My wife's 03 had 123K when l changed the shaft...no noise or looseness, but had lost balance weight...and after replacing the trans/y-pipe on the 01...it seemed like cheap insurance.

For about 280.00, you can get a greaseable version.

Brian.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Indications

Originally Posted by Victor Killbox
Maa4569,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll start looking for a replacement, but I am still trying to understand why a seemingly good part would just break. There has to be some kind of indication... right?
I love my rovers.... I have 5 disco 2s.... with that said I had a slight vibration on 1 of them and a slight chirp on another and the driveshaft replacement fixed them...I didn't have a problem on the other 3 but I replaced them anyways. Now these are known problems on the disco 2 and the problem is there is no way to grease your driveshaft on the stock part. this is something you should grease every oil change.. 3-5k miles. It is really close to exhaust and literally cooks the grease in the shaft. I bought a non running 03 disco and saw first hand what the drive shaft does... knocked a really nice hole and dent into the transmission. not a cheap fix.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:23 PM
7th Gear

Thanks! So next question; where did you get your new drive shaft? Atlantic British ($449.95, on sale), and GBR Utah (also $449.95)...eek!

Old 07-25-2017, 05:03 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Victor Killbox
Thanks! So next question; where did you get your new drive shaft? Atlantic British ($449.95, on sale), and GBR Utah (also $449.95)...eek!
These guys on here will tell you the best place to buy a front driveshaft.

Do take notice of their comments as the driveshaft generally goes bang without warning between 100-120K miles even although everything appears to check out fine. If the driveshaft lets go the ensuing damage and rectification costs can be very expensive. The new driveshaft cost is relatively peanuts compared to the damage it can do to the transmission if it breaks.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

I have the GBR heavy duty. I had the Lucky8 and it developed vibration issues in less than a year. I wish I had bought the GBR from the start. It's very stout and well balanced.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

U-joints that get a dry cap and develop rust in said cap will not show any signs of wear (no excessive play). But the result of the needles not rolling due to rust is excess friction and heat which results in a squeak, and shortly after a seizure and failure of the joint.

If there's any rust around any of the u-joint caps OR a joint is stiff OR there is a squeak, it is time for a new joint. Any one of these symptoms is an indication of immenent failure.

The following users liked this post:
No Doubt (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

I had a GBR Front Drive Shaft and I was not impressed with it at all for the $$$. Starting squeaking 6 months & I replaced it ASAP. You can get a nice replacement off of Ebay for 124.00 with 4 zerk fittings.

Quick Reply: Indications and Warnings of Front Drive Shaft Failure?