Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inspection fail ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 07:23 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inspection fail ??

2000 Disco. NY Electronic inspection.

The inspection computer synched with the transmission computer, but not the engine computer. This happened once before but the mechanic just reset something on the Rover, and we were good to go. Unfortunately, that guy isn't around anymore.

Anyone have a clue what to do??

Old 11-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

that doesn't make much sense to me, maybe if you explain why you failed? such as any codes or what your failed test explains. The OBD2 system is one in itself, and short of maybe a couple transmission related codes this shouldn't be the case. Is your check engine light on? And if not is it working correctly when you first start the truck?

the other thing that I question is there shouldn't be anything that can just be reset and allow you to pass.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:06 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me be more clear. The inspection computer never ran any tests. It failed to synch (or bond or connect or mate, whatever you want to call it) to the engine computer.

The check engine light comes on when I turn the key and goes off when I start the truck.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle

then one of 2 things is happening:
1st the OBD2 computer was recently reset causing you to have a "not ready" state. If this is the case the vehicle must complete its drive cycles to be in its ready state, If this is the case and there were codes that were just cleared then chances are the problem still persists and the light will come back on once the drive cycles are completed if the problem was resolved or the codes are no longer present then the light will not come back on.

The 2nd reason this may happen is if the diagnostic port is not getting power, there are 2 wires on the diagnostic port that provide power and ground for the scanner, they are pins 5 (ground) and pin 16 (power) you can get a meter and test these wires. Not sure on the D2 but I believe on the D1's the power is provided through the security module (not sure why this is) therefore if your security fuse is removed or blown or something similar the scanner most likely will not read the codes. I would use a meter and check for power between those 2 pins with the ignition on.

there may be another reason but these are the only 2 I can think of

Old 11-18-2009, 08:34 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

where in NY are you?

Old 11-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had problems syncing my rover to a couple obd scanners. I ended up changing the baud rate on the scanner, and everything worked great after that. It is kinda funny, cause all of the other vehicles I have hooked my scanner up to, use a different baud rate than my rover.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I would think then if that is what the problem is then the issue would have to be taken up with the EPA or whoever oversees the testing process in NY, because a problem like that would have to be resolved on there end not yours. But I doubt a problem like that would last very long (if at all) because then everyone who drives a rover in NY would have this problem, and most states would use a scanning system that works 100% on all vehicles.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i couldnt tell you because mine should have not passed. it needed a crap load of work. but i can tell you it failed and the computer was able to connect to it. so i'm thinking its the shop's scanner that is at fault.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle

NY uses a standard OBD 2 scanner across all certified inspection stations, these systems are all tapped into a main system where the results of the test get sent to. I would be pretty sure in saying the problem lies with your specific truck, I cant tell you exactly what the problem is or if it is a big problem or a small problem but I can almost promise you the inspection station would not be the responsible one here.

I would first test for power at the plug on the pins I stated earlier, then go to Autozone and have them try to read the codes. If they get a clean reading with no codes then go back to the inspection station and ask them about trying it again.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Might want to inspect and clean your OBD2 connection, also check for a bent pin.

Quick Reply: Inspection fail ??