Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance expert? They're salvaging my truck after it got broken into...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 11:41 PM
Mudding
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Insurance expert? They're salvaging my truck after it got broken into...

My D2 got broken into so I reported what was missing, tires, tent, rims etc, this is closed to 7K.

I even paid premium insurance and made sure they knew about the add on items

Now they calculated it and it's over what the value of the truck and I only have two option...

1. Salvage and I gotta buy the truck back... Which I have to buy it cause I got tons of parts... And there's no damage except for stolen items.

2. Don't take the money and my truck stays un-salvage...

F me. I'm so pissed. I kept arguing that I added all those items so I can be covered now I'm only getting 25% after buying the truck back and now it'll be salvaged!

Old 06-12-2020, 11:42 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

As a public service could you name the insurance company?

I would show them some comps from BAT and let them chew on that.

Old 06-12-2020, 11:44 PM
Mudding
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
As a public service could you name the insurance company?
Geico.

What's BAT?

Old 06-13-2020, 08:49 AM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by GoRoll
My D2 got broken into so I reported what was missing, tires, tent, rims etc, this is closed to 7K.

I even paid premium insurance and made sure they knew about the add on items

Now they calculated it and it's over what the value of the truck and I only have two option...

1. Salvage and I gotta buy the truck back... Which I have to buy it cause I got tons of parts... And there's no damage except for stolen items.

2. Don't take the money and my truck stays un-salvage...

F me. I'm so pissed. I kept arguing that I added all those items so I can be covered now I'm only getting 25% after buying the truck back and now it'll be salvaged!
I always thought they didn’t care or cover things like rims tent etc. You can try your home insurance for that.

Depends how much are they giving you for it ?
In my experience when a car gets written off it they don’t go by book value. They actually look at your area classifieds to see the real value

at lest that’s what happen to me on 2 occasions when my wife wrote off my 04 disco in 2015 they gave me $9500

Old 06-13-2020, 09:02 AM
TReK

BAT is Bring A Trailer, an online auto auction site that specialized in collectible vehicles.

https://bringatrailer.com/land-rover/discovery/

Old 06-13-2020, 09:53 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

You may be able to claim some items under your home insurance. I know my policy has provision for theft of items from a vehicle. Some policies have "outbuilding" clauses that are worth a look at. Years ago when I lived with my parents, my dad and I rented space in a car club that burned to the ground - the home insurance covered all of our tools which was a huge amount.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by GoRoll
Geico.

What's BAT?
GEICO is the problem, far from premium insurance. I am sure they have a premium plan that they’ll charge you for but they are absolute bottom dwellers in insurance. Like Mariana Trench bottom. A family member owns a really busy body shop and he’s was in constant disbelief how GEICO treated it’s customers. He finally started turning people away that had coverage with GEICO because he was no longer willing to commit his staff to hours and hours on the phone fighting on the owners behalf which often ended with an unhappy customer in HIS office the he and his staff had to deal with.

I’ve had State Farm for a long time and yes it’s more expensive but like everything else you get what you pay for. You are in ****ty situation for sure and I seriously doubt GEICO will budge because they honestly don’t give a damn about your business.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:55 AM
TReK

My son was screwed over by Geico as well. It was one of those odd traffic situations in an unusual intersection but they stiffed him the entire way. Basically a girl took a right turn into traffic from a stop sign while looking to her left and did not see him to the right making a left turn into a parking lot, she hit the P38 square in the nose. Luckily very little damage other than one crack in the bumper cover and some paint on the lower grill as well as some aftermarket hella lights. Her late model Toyota was totaled!!! The whole front end literally fell off. Geico decided it was equal liability and they didn't pay anyone. Six month on the phone trying to talk to them got nothing. My son didn't have to be liable for any of the other parties damages but got nothing but the satisfaction of cancelling GEICO and getting better insurance.

In the OP's situation I'd second the home owner insurance route on the aftermarket items.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:41 AM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

The problem is insurance companies don’t care if you stay or go. They never fight to keep your business or give you any deals.

Old 06-14-2020, 12:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Get a bank appraisal for your Discovery. Or another 3rd party from classic vehicle appraisers.

Quick Reply: Insurance expert? They're salvaging my truck after it got broken into...