Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interested in buying a Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 03:53 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested in buying a Discovery

Hi all, im new to the forum. Im would like to get the low down on the 96-2000 Discovery. I have found several in nice condition with good mileage, but havent made a decision on which. So, I hear Ford owns Land Rover and they have a BMW made drive train?? Is this true? Ive heard also that the drivetrain and 4 wheel drive system is very reliable, but the electrical system and interior has problems. I test drove a 97 this morning, with 62,000 miles, dual sunroofs, leather, etc, and after that, I definately want one. Thanks for your inputs!!

Old 07-15-2006, 11:07 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Interested in buying a Discovery

Yes, Ford owns Rover now, they bought Rover from BMW who owned it for only a couple of years. The only thing closely related to a BMW in a Disco is the tranny.
Are you looking for a D1, the shorter old model, or a D2 the newer longer version, 99 and up?
What do you plan on doing with this truck, have you ever owned a 4 wheeler before?
Discos are go and yes they like all other vehicles have their own littl problem but nothing to loose sleep over when you consider what they will do off the road.
Mike

Old 07-15-2006, 11:43 PM
3rd Gear

Im Looking for the D1. That is what is in my price range. As far as a 4 wheeler, until now, I had a Toyota 4 runner, for 220,000 miles, until the engine went and it wasnt worth fixing. I had a couple Toyota pickups before, and a chevy blazer, years ago. I would like to stay with the SUV, because I already 2 cars, an Intrepid, and a Miata, and I dont quite need a pickup, but I need something with some room that can do a little light towing-- as in small trailer with 4 wheeler on it-- and can handle some mountains. I was turned on to the Land Rover because of the 4 wheel drive reputation, and the look and luxury feel-- plus they are unusual. So if BMW makes the trans, who makes the engines? Land Rover i assume?

Old 07-16-2006, 12:44 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I think you are making a great decision in investing in a Land Rover. Every time I get in my Land Rover I smile and tell myself I am soo glad to have this truck.
Cant tell you exactly what kind of engine is in the Disco. I read an article that mentioned Ford was buying X amount of engines from BMW for their Land Rovers, but didnt mention what year and model they were going into.
Good luck in finding one.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:02 AM
Overlanding

I am relatively new to the Land Rover scene; I picked up my '99 Disco II about 3 months ago. The horror stories worried me quite a bit, but I think they were exaggerated. I am good with a wrench and it sounds like you are too (who gets 220,000 miles on a truck??!?!?!?!), so you will probably be fine, but choose wisely

I have pushed my stock DII almost every weekend since I have owned it and have been very impressed every time. So far, I have torn up 2 tires and replaced all 5 with a larger, meatier tire, dropped in a K+N filter and tinted the front windows.

hey disco Mike,

what does "super member" mean?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Old 07-19-2006, 01:05 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I just got mine a month ago, I love it, but they do have their issues... Either have a nice set of tools, a garage, and the know how, or a deep wallet to have someone fix it. Also pick out a nice spot in your driveway you don't mind ruining because it's going to leak everywhere.

In the month I owned it I dropped about 2g's getting it back to mint condition, brakes, alarm issues, suspension issues, electrical issues, idle issues, exhaust issues. A tech friend of mine at the local rover dealer told me they'd have charged me around 10k had they done the work. Food for thought.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Drifting

I have had my disco since March and it is most certanly a love/hate relationship... I agree with the above poster, in that, every time I get in the thing I am glad I have it, but it will require fairly constant maintenance (or at least mine does).

Off-road it is awsome, on-road could be better, and my friends usually like riding in it better than other SUVs.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, but I do hesitate to tell other people to get one. If you aren't mechanically inclined and like working on your trucks, or have the funds to pay someone else to do it, I would stay away. Just my opinion though.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Rock Crawling

I agree wholeheartedly with you guys. I love my Disco, but it's sort of like my relationship with my wife - I have to keep working on it or it will fall apart ! I would not recommend that someone buy one unless they go into it with their eyes open. I could not afford to take mine into a shop or a dealer every time it needed service or something needed fixing. I've had it for 5 or 6 years now, and it's never been in the shop, but I have spent some time and money on it - and although it doesn't burn any oil at 105K miles, it does tend to mark it's territory.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:31 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

What is your price range???
Mike

Old 07-25-2006, 12:17 PM
Drifting

hey guys...I didn't want to clutter up the board with another "Interested in buying a Discovery" thread....and since my question fits within the parameters of the original question posed....I'm going to take the liberty of adding my own...

I've got the inside line on a 97 Disco that I want. bady. very badly actually.

I'm just hoping that by posting about it on here will help me stay objective about it......

I'm a vehicle freak....currently have 3 cars....(1 high performance...1 classic....1 everyday)...and no, I don't just want an suv to drive over curbs with...although I AM getting married and am thinking that the full time 4wd will be an asset to my fiancee' who is from AL and has NEVER driven in snow....

ok...so here we go.

1997 Discovery SD

White with cloth tan interior (Cloth is good in my books...have a car with leather......meh.)

5sp manual (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ) apparently they special ordered it?

one owner....executive's wife driven...never off-road

90,000kms (55,000 miles)

jump seats, rear sunroof (none in the front??!!??)

VERY clean.....tiny amount of surface rust on inside of rear wheel fender lip (definitely only surface though...I can take care of that no problem...)....although i thought Disco's where aluminum??...or is it just the body panels??

Goes into locking dif no problem....all seems to be working great...

for sale through well loved volvo dealership who has EXCELLENT service and have told me they can service it for me..

they are asking $10,000 Canadian plus taxes.

now for things of potentail concern

seems to have a little idling issue - never dies...but sometimes "searches" a bit. (They said they are looking into it)

was sitting for a couple days and wouldnt' start.....jumped it and no problem....might have been an interior light left on....but read on a different thread this might be an alternator issue??

has the engine "tick" people talk about.....been told it's an exhaust manifold leak. Might it be this "lifter" issue people talk about?

k....so any thoughts on all this would be MUCH MUCH appreacieated.....my brother (out west) has a 1972 Series 3 that he adores...but this would be my first 4x4 vehicle and certainly my first Landy.

Quick Reply: Interested in buying a Discovery