Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interested in buying a Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 04:25 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Interested in buying a Discovery

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

What is your price range???
Mike
Im looking at about $5-$6000. I have found a few on ebay that seem to be pretty good, with 100k or less. I have also found a few locally here that seem to be worse off than on ebay.

As long as its in nice shape body and interior wise, its ok. I dont want serious drivetrain problems either. Minor stuff doesnt bother me too much, as every vehicle I own was a fixer-upper, either had a bad engine and was nice and cheap, or minor issues. The Land Rover I want to be able to jump in and go, with not too much work. Im moving cross country and I wont have the time to do a rebuild on another one. From what I can remember, from a friend that has a Range Rover, these have more body problems-- ie door latches, electrical, window motors, etc... I think I replaced 3 door latches for him.. We never did anything more to the engine than a tune up, and a new radiator. Is this true? Are the majority of the problems body-related, and not drivetrain? Thanks for your help guys. The Miata is for sale, and it seems, as soon as its sold, its Land Rover time.

Old 08-02-2006, 05:25 PM
8th Gear

I am also looking to buy a Discovery. What I am looking for is a 2000 Series II. Will I have to use premium fuel in it?

Old 08-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

ORIGINAL: maxellfullmoon

I am also looking to buy a Discovery. What I am looking for is a 2000 Series II. Will I have to use premium fuel in it?
OH YES, all Rovers require premium, thats the price you pay for a great truck.
2000 is a good year especially if you plane to do some serious wheeling. tell us more about the truck and what your plans are.
Mike

Old 08-02-2006, 10:31 PM
8th Gear

I was looking to buy a 96 Discovery last winter and then I drove a Series II. What a difference, I couldn't go back to buy the series I after that. So I have been saving some more money to get a 1999- 2001 series II. I go on river trips around the southeast to whitewater Kayak. That is what I will be using my Rover for.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:39 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking to buy a 96 Discovery last winter and then I drove a Series II. What a difference, I couldn't go back to buy the series I after that. So I have been saving some more money to get a 1999- 2001 series II. I go on river trips around the southeast to whitewater Kayak. That is what I will be using my Rover for.

I have been in a lot of Land Rovers and they all ride differently my 96 was much better than my brothers 98.
I have OME, then he got the same set up OME and still different.

The Disco's II have more of a on road suspension, and the Disco's I are more of a off road suspension.
So its how you are going to use it to what you will like.

The improvements that every talks about From the Disco I to Disco II is mostly in the suspension,
almost nothing is the same. The other things are to make it more appealing to other SUV owners.

Mike

Old 08-03-2006, 11:08 PM
8th Gear

Hey everyone, I am new here and had some questions on a Discovery, I found this one: http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/in...r_id=197003501 it is $6456, I have not seen it in person but I will probably Friday, but I was looking for some opinions on this particular model.

IT sounds like a good deal, as long as it is nice in person.

Thanks!!

Old 08-04-2006, 12:38 AM
Overlanding

From my shopping experience a few months back, that is a decent price. What I found is a picture can make anything look good; most of the Disco's I saw in person were pretty hammered.

Old 08-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike
OH YES, all Rovers require premium, thats the price you pay for a great truck.
2000 is a good year especially if you plane to do some serious wheeling. tell us more about the truck and what your plans are.
Mike
I am glad you mentioned it, I have been putting regular in mine since I bought it a few days ago.

Old 08-05-2006, 01:01 AM
8th Gear

I got me a Rover today! It's a blue 2000 Discovery with 46,000 miles. I love it!

Old 08-05-2006, 10:14 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got me a Rover today! It's a blue 2000 Discovery with 46,000 miles. I love it!

Welcome, nice to have new ownes on board.

Quick Reply: Interested in buying a Discovery