Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intermintant power loss instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:29 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermintant power loss instrument cluster

newbie here, searched forums and checked out oniline owner manuels. Purchased used 2000 disco II 96,500 miles, while driving power goes out of instrument dash cluster speed, rpm, gas, digital milage, and temp. Stays out them comes back on for couple of sec. then comes back on for longer time. It will sometimes bounce with power and then goes out again. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks D
2000 disco II 96,5k

Old 08-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds just like a loose connection, if it were more I'd bet once it went out it wouldnt come back on period.

Getting it off is actually pretty easy, the top panel piece should come up by pressing stright up on the lip that covers the dash, then you can see (a flashlight helps) two clips waaaay back where it connects to the dashboard, one on each side. They are big metal clips, ive only had luck removing them with a long metal rod or long screwdriver, look at them and you should figure out how they should come off right away, simply push on the center of them and they tend to come right out, then the whole piece comes off... you can either put it to the side or remove each of the wires to the buttons on it, they are all color coded i believe so no worries reversing it if you take them off and forge which is which. then the display itself has a few wireharnesses plugged into the rear of it... the entire piece can be removed with just a few screws, i think there are 2 on each side that hold it in place? i forget now, its all rather obvious though once you get the cover off. then just make sure all the wirings secure, not frayed, and clicked in evenly and firmly.

ps. heads up, the electircals in these cars are a JOKE... as are most things on it for that matter hahahaha.

search and download the Rave manual, its a free all inclusive repair manual and then some for these trucks... think its on a forum sticky too. i welcome you and your wallet to the LR universe haha

Old 08-01-2011, 10:48 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical instrument

thanks for the quick reply, sounds easy enough in theory, it will be next weekend project.