Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPod Interface Install (w/ Pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 02:23 PM
jmt
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: iPod Interface Install (w/ Pictures)

It's not that long. IIRC, it's about 4ft.

But, that should be about enough distance.

It took me less than 30mins. to get the dash apart enough to install the unit, but I can understand how that might be intimidating to some. You'd also have to invest in some radio removal tools.

But, your money, your rover, your choice.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:14 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple of questions for anyone using the GROM Audio iPod interface setup....

Is this the interface for the Rover? http://www.gromaudio.com/store/ipod_...om-i2-bmw.html

The site states that for Rovers, you have to select the Dashboard Mounting option, as they do not carry Trunk Mounting cables for the Rover. Does the dash cable that comes with the interface work for mounting the iPod interface at the CD changer, or do I have to order the BMW trunk cable (http://www.gromaudio.com/store/acces...e-bmw-t.html)?

How exactly would you hook up the iPod interface at the CD changer? Is there a particular cable I unplug from the CD changer and plug into the interface?

Thanks to anyone who can help. I really like the sound quality from the stock Alpine headunit, so I wanted an MP3 option using my iPhone, and the GROM Audio interface looks like the perfect answer.

Thanks again.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:33 AM
4wd Low
Default Question on Ipod Interface

Hi all, I have a stupid question about Ipod interfaces...

I realize that the interface cable will charge the unit. And that when the Ipod is paused and power supply is cut (i.e. key turned off), then the Ipod should go into sleep mode after being idle for some time to save battery, right?

So if your Ipod is in your glove box, do you have to pause the Ipod every time you turn the car off to get it to go into sleep mode (to save battery)??? Does this make sense?

If this is the case, then I think I would prefer putting it somewhere on the console rather than in the glove box? Maybe I am missing something?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lee
2000 Discovery (still using the tape adaptor for Ipod)

Old 09-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Well - I bought my fiance a ZUNE about 2 Christmas' ago that she doesn't use - so I will have to ****** it and put it my car. I will order the one for the MP3's and see if it will work! Nice find!!!

Old 09-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Overlanding

Does this install disconnect the CD player?

Old 09-27-2010, 08:29 PM
4wd Low

I purchased the Grom interface direct from their website, and I purchased the radio removal tools from Atlantic British (these were a little more expensive than the generic universal ones on ebay, but the ones from AB worked perfectly - if you put them in with the slot facing out, they actually lock into the radio and you pull on the tools to pull it out).

The installation went pretty smooth following the directions at the beginning of this thread (great write up, thanks). I couldn't get the Grom interface box to go under the radio support (as mentioned in the instructions in this thread) so I ran the cable which was connected to the radio down beside the glove box, and put the Grom interface in the space just to the left of the globe box (I used a stiff wire to fish the cable down). Then I ran the Ipod cable from the Grom interface all the way down and tucked just under the center console on the passenger (right hand) side and then brought the cable out so that the Ipod would sit on the center console with plenty of slack. This way I could easily put the Ipod into the center console armrest box with it sill connected if I wanted the Ipod out of site. Overall, pretty easy install.

The interface unit DOES pause my Ipod Nano (4th Gen) every time the radio is turned off, or I switch from CD player to radio/tape, or I shut the key off on the car. With the Ipod paused, after a minute or so it goes into sleep (so to answer my question in a previous post, NO, you don't have to manually pause the Ipod every time to get it to turn off). I did notice that it appears to run power to the Ipod (charging it) ALL the time, even with the key on the car turned off. I can't imagine that this is enough of a power draw to be a problem, but it is a very slight drain on the battery.

To answer the question above from DrG3, YES this DOES disconnect the CD CHANGER which is under the passenger seat. However, I wasn't really using my CD changer much anyway, and all my favorite songs are on my Ipod, so this was no big loss.

The control of the Ipod using the controls on the steering wheel work great! If you have an Ipod, this is a GREAT add on! I wish I had done it a long time ago, and I am looking into doing it on my other cars.

Lee
2000 D2

Old 11-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Overlanding

Great instructions. Worked to a tee. All appears to be working. I will let you know more after I try it out for a few days. Thanks for the pictures and directions. Your not kidding when you said it was stuck in there pretty good.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:39 AM
5th Gear
Talking Aux radio install

I just ordered the GROM Audio box with Aux connector.

Update: June 8th

Got it in yesterday and pulled the deck and installed the Grom box. Pulled the glove box and routed down to the side and up through the console. The box works great. The only problem was finding a good spot behind the stereo to mount the box.

Thanks,

Leejam
TX Disco2

Last edited by leejam; 06-08-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Three Wheeling

I replaced the factory HU with a JVC a few weeks ago. It has a rear USB input and 3.5mm line in. I ran both into the ashtray and leave them coiled up there. There's already a square cutout above the ashtray that you can use. It helps if you take out the clock and the lock switch first.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Overlanding

I ran both lines back to the glovebox. I placed the box in the back left. It fits pretty tight. I use my ipod connection with out any problem. The other mp3 does not work as well. My radio sounds like it is trying to change a CD. Clicks every few seconds.
Just got my disco back from dealer. Last visit before warranty expired. They replaced my DVD player and reconnected my CD player. So, I gotta go back in and reconnect the Grom.

Quick Reply: iPod Interface Install (w/ Pictures)