Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've had enough.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 12:22 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've had enough.

I've had it with this piece of junk. It's a never-ending pit of money and for what? Just so you can spend even more money?

It leaks water in. It leaks oil out. Its fuel consumption makes towing a diesel bowser behind it not such a silly idea. It wallows round corners like a pregnant warthog. Its electrics redefine 'intermittency'. The aircon is a joke (when its working).

What else? Pah....heap of c**p.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

D2 Owner...it's not for everyone.

New website I'm working on.

Last edited by ralphobell; 03-19-2014 at 12:32 PM. Reason: added image
Old 03-19-2014, 12:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Sounds like yours may not be up to snuff. With 4" or so of lift mine still corners very well.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:56 PM
Drifting

They are definitely not Toyotas but then again they have much more personality. I have had mine for 5 years and 75k miles (186k now). All in all it has been a good truck. Gas mileage sux in any 4wd especially fulltime 4wd. Had a 03 Land Cruiser and it only got around 15. 2002 2500 4wd Suburban got 10 maybe on a good day. The leaking oil etc used to drive me nuts and I was always chasing them but finally decided it is just what it is and got a big aluminum pan I park it over in the garage. All that being said if you don’t like to or can’t work on it yourself it can be a nightmare and VERY expensive.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:08 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Strange
I have a D2, 250K recorded on the clock.

Very few troubles and I use it for towing and even tow launching a Piper Cub float plane from a trailer in the summer. It is very controllable as the aircraft is about to lift off the trailer, that's why I prefer it to the stuff I have used for the task.

I would say one of the best vehicles I have ever owned in 50 years of driving.

Suggest you needed some expert service and maintenance to enjoy the use Landrover fully. Sorry to read you had a bad experience, many Landrover owners around the world have different experiences with the product.
Amistades
T/V

Old 03-19-2014, 01:30 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I frickin' love that sticker/logo Ralphobell! we need that in bumper sticker format. I bet you could make a million bucks selling that as a sticker (ok, well maybe like $38 total from all of us 'otherwise broke 'cuz we drive D2's to begin with' crowd.) seriously though, that's sweet.

countryman- sorry to hear your frustration. I keep my hair cut short so there ain't much to pull out.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:08 PM
Drifting

I just got the D1 rolling noice with a AC compressor and a steering gearbox, an oil change and some Marvel Mystery oil in the fuel. You think that was cheap or easy? No.

And the 02 D2 with the new crank sensor with a hole in the wheel well, yeah it needs another flush of Trans fluid, but the undercarriage is so rusted I'm scared to do anything else to it, so it is certified A-OK safe to operate.

The 03 D2 has a new clock, and the peculiar noise from the engine cannot be diagnosed, but it can be ignored, so I'll concentrate on power washing and changing tires, easy stuff, almost fun, not punishing like worrying about where my money went.

I have 3 Discos, and I don't feel bad riding along in a Triple A truck to get home.

To paraphrase Churchill:

We will fix them on the roadway, we will fix them in the drivewway, we will fix them in the parking lot, we will fix them fix them wherever they bog down, but we will never, ever surrender.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

meh, prolly just a fuse.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rule #1: Don't feed the trolls.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:19 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Once i replaced the Headgaskets, radiator, fan clutch, battery, front door lock mechanism, thermostat, O2 sensor, serpertine belt, power steering pump, transmission filter and fluid -

I got a trouble free year out of it.
And it was delightful to drive.

I detest the SAI pump though.

Quick Reply: I've had enough.